At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Senior Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Senior Phlebotomist must be an expert in venous and capillary collections. Under the direction of the Manager, the Senior Phlebotomist facilitates the delivery of quality service for a designated section. Duties include the investigation and resolution of service problems between support services, nursing and clinical testing departments and coordination of specimen collection, processing and delivery. Extensive knowledge of hospital and laboratory system is required.
- Coordinates the efforts of all phlebotomists in assigned areas.
- Develops and maintains a higher level of expertise in the specific areas of responsibility.
- Creates and maintains a harmonious work environment and manages an area that fosters communications, teamwork, cooperation, flexibility, respect and diversity.
- Participates in the hiring process of potential candidates and participates in the orientation of newly hired and temporary phlebotomists under the direction of the department manager.
- Responsible for the direct observation portion of the competency evaluation for each phlebotomist.
- Assist with performance expectations and evaluations.
- Assists the Clinical Practice Coordinator in coordinating the schedule and assigning daily duties.
- Ensures that the phlebotomy supplies are ordered and put away in a timely manner and that stock is rotated.
- Verifies that reagents and supplies meet defined acceptability criteria upon receipt.
- Takes action to ensure that unacceptable items are removed from use.
- Performs and records all necessary quality control required for the test system performance.
- Ensures that adequate amounts of supplies are on hand for use in assigned area.
- Under the guidance of the Manager, serves as a liaison for issues with the phlebotomy staff and other hospital departments.
- Performs all phlebotomy duties, including blood cultures and difficult venipunctures or special techniques.
- Troubleshoots and problem solves.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment by utilizing personal protective equipment and safety devices appropriately.
- Ensures that staff participates in all safety and infection control activities. Other duties as assigned.
- Certificate from accredited Medical Phlebotomy Program or equivalent skills and experience; High school diploma or equivalent
- 4-5 years of phlebotomy and ability to handle difficult venipunctures.
- Associates degree or equivalent.
- Previous experience demonstrating leadership ability.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.