At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Immediate Care Swabbing Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Immediate Care Swabbing Technician completes swabbing and specimen collections at the Immediate Care Centers. This role is responsible for ensuring efficient patient flow, maintaining neat, clean and safe patient care areas, promoting patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner, and safeguarding patient confidentiality.
- Access EPIC patient record to verify order for testing upon completion of registration by NM PCR
- Acknowledge order and print label
- Check order for testing reason (pre-procedure, employee, symptomatic, asymptomatic)
- Gather correct specimen vial and supplies, label appropriate vial with appropriate patient demographic label
- Don full PPE
- Verify and confirm patient identifiers with patient or patient guardian if patient is a minor
- Collect specimen as per order and protocol
- Distribute AVS with instructions for TAT, to contact ordering provider for results
- Double bag specimen and refrigerate (as applicable)
- Complete log form with patient information for transport to NMH LAB/CDH LAB (region dependent)
- Complete EPIC documentation: collection information and disposition of discharge
- Prepare bag for specimen pickup
- Validate log with specimens in pickup bag
- Assure timely pickup by courier service including end of day
- Other duties: answer patient questions, assemble test kits, and keep smooth patient flow through the area, maintain stock of PPE, maintain cleanliness of area
- Closing duties: cleaning of all carts, areas, restocking of supplies
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Certified Medical Assistant (American Association of Medical Assistants), Registered Medical Assistant (American Medical), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Certification required upon hire or within 6 months from hire date, if eligible to sit for exam-must provide proof of eligibility. OR Emergency Medical Technician – Paramedic, or Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians) certification. OR Phlebotomy certification/training from a phlebotomy school/institution or equivalent experience OR Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) OR Nursing student who has completed two clinical rotations.
- Basic Life Support (American Heart Association) certification.
- Completion of pre-employment competency exam.
- Strong computer skills.
- Experience with electronic medical record.
- College degree or interest in health care field.
- One to two years of ambulatory care experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.