At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
**This is a Full Time position at 40hrs per week located at Lake Forest Hospital and travel to the Grayslake facility is required. Seeking candidates with GI experience.**
The MS/GI Procedure Technician reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The MS/GI Procedure Technician provides support service to the nurses, physicians and other health care professionals related to daily operations of the department. The position facilitates patient flow to and from the waiting area and exam/procedural areas.
- Cares for the patient throughout the treatment/procedure according to department and hospital standards of nursing care, age-specific sensitivities, and patients' first guidelines.
- Provides systems support by preparing procedure rooms for patients prior to their arrival in the department and work area.
- Assists in preparing patient for exam/procedure (department specific).
- Follows directions of nurse to assist in performing exam/procedure on patients.
- Participates in lifting and escorting patient throughout the department.
- Assists in the discharge of patients as needed.
- Assists the physician and nurse during procedures as necessary with collecting specimens.
- Prepares all necessary paperwork and information so treatment/procedure may be performed.
- Assists in clarification of patient demographic information.
- Verifies patient information for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitors schedule to ensure effective patient flow throughout the diagnostic areas. Identifies and obtains paperwork required to start exam.
- Handles and maintains department equipment and supplies to ensure effective operational flow throughout the department.
- Cleans and disinfects Endoscopic equipment according to protocol.
- Cleans and disinfects/sterilizes accessories used throughout the department.
- Reports equipment malfunctions to the Resource Coordinator or Manager.
- Recognizes and reports problems to the Resource Coordinator or Manager.
- Able to use necessary departmental/hospital software applications.
- Monitors stock of supplies in procedure/recovery rooms to assure timely reordering, rotation of dated items, and by maintenance of a clean and orderly environment.
- Uses designated equipment effectively, skillfully and efficiently.
- Maintains equipment and work area as directed.
- Restocks linen in recovery room, changing rooms, cleans and changes linen on patient carts and disposes of soiled linen when needed.
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of department.
- Organizes and prioritizes assigned work, and schedules time to accommodate work demands, turnaround-time and commitments.
- Applies comfort measures and safety measures (side rails, call lights).
- Provides clerical/technical support as needed and as assigned by Manager.
- May be responsible for defined administrative/clerical duties to ensure patient throughput and report turnaround.
- Following orientation, procedure technicians must have the ability to provide on-call coverage for endoscopy procedures and respond to be on duty within 60 minutes or less.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 1 to 2 years of specialized or technical training, or equivalent.
- Completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on the state of Illinois CNA Registry or Certified Medical Assistant with AAMA or AMT certification.
- BLS through American Heart Association.
- Epic software experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.