Pathology Technician - (210002XG)
Description The Pathology Technician will interact with clinical staff and department colleagues, as well as occasionally with patients and families. Will work in a multicultural environment and will develop and maintain sound working relationships with colleagues. Will prioritize work load and ask for assistance when needed. General duties will include handling bone marrow samples, retrieve and accession CNMC and outreach surgical samples. Ensure correct patient identification is on every sample. Maintain frozen section room, retrieve laboratory data as needed, load tissue processors, assist with autopsies and with grossing of small tissue biopsies. Assist with any special projects and back up administrative staff as needed.
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED Some years of college, preferred/desired. .
Minimum Work Experience
1 year At least 1 year of experience in a hospital, laboratory or clinic setting. Prior experience in a pathology laboratory, preferred/desired .
Detail-oriented, patient-centric, communicative person. Basic computer skills. Creativity, flexibility, accountability and being responsible are critical traits. Ability to prioritize work load and ask for assistance when needed is essential.
- Handle bone marrow samples and attend procedure, verify patient identification, triage specimens, access specimen adequacy, prepare and stain aspirate smears, label slides, fix clots in formalin, place biopsies in decal solution, and retrieve lab data.
- Retrieve specimens from various locations, accession, triage fixative needs, make cassettes, verify patient identification.
- Handle outreach specimens and accession into corresponding computer system, make cassettes, verify patient identification.
- Retrieve cytology slides from clinical lab, accession, label, and verify patient identification.
- Assist with autopsy procedure, make cassettes, assist as needed; “Swirl and pour” grossing of small tissue biopsy samples.
- Prepare specimens for send out including fixatives, temperature needs, labels, requisition forms, etc.
- Maintain frozen section room by cleaning, stocking, replacing solutions, etc.
- Load day runs for tissue processors, assist with maintenance.
- Assist with any divisional special projects as needed.
Organizational AccountabilitiesOrganizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Back up administrative staff as needed (answer phones, etc.).
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Cntr for Cancer_ Blood DsordrsRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: DayWork Schedule: 8-4:30
Job Posting: Oct 1, 2021, 8:06:01 AM