Swedish Medical Center is looking for an Admission Coordinator Assistant (0.6 FTE, Variable Shift) to work in Command Center at Swedish Shared Services in Seattle, WA.
The Admission Coordinator Assistant collects, documents and communicates information relative to patients requiring admission to Swedish Medical Center in accordance with established department policies, procedures and workflows.
In this position you will:
- Accountable for the appropriate and accurate placement of patients in cooperation with physicians, nursing unit leadership, and nursing supervisors.
- Collaborates with Charge Nurses, Nursing Supervisors and/or Nurse Managers to minimize patient placement issues.
- Pends patients on electronic unit census list and completes tasks according to established workflows.
- Escalates patient placement issues according to established protocols.
- Answers multiple and/or designated telephone lines, prioritizes and routes calls appropriately.
- Maintains timely communication with all healthcare team members involved in placing patients.
- Collaborates with Patient Registration and Emergency Departments to facilitate timely patient placement requests.
- Provides timely and thorough information to physicians and physician office personnel regarding patient placement within the scope of practice.
- Attends daily Charge Nurse Huddle and addresses patient placement or pending admission concerns.
- Reviews expected admissions/surgeries in advance and pends patients as directed by the respective unit charge nurse.
- Maintains excellent knowledge of clinical services provided by each nursing unit to support the system patient placement process.
- Transition (discharge) Planning Essential Functions:
- Initiates and manages all referrals to skilled nursing facilities, rehab, long-term care, specialty care, home health, etc. to provide post discharge services and promote quality outcomes. Coordinates and assures the acquisition of DME, transportation and other discharge needs are in place prior to discharge.
- Consistently communicates all necessary information to Case Management Team.
- Arranges appropriate transportation based on patient needs and directive from Case Management Team.
- Acts as a liaison between Case Management Team and outside agencies.
- Transition (Transfer Center) Bed Placement:
- Coordinates transfer of emergent and urgent patients to a final destination campus from all potential referral sources to include but not limited to outside hospitals, physician clinics and SNF’s via a single call to initiate acceptance and facilitate a potential transfer.
- Answers phone within three (3) rings.
- Facilitates physician to physician calls to initiate acceptance and patient throughput to a destination campus with an ongoing focus on quality and efficiency.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Provides effective communication with team members and other departments to ensure a seamless transfer.
- Provides accurate and timely follow-up with staff and referring providers/facilities.
- Maintains current knowledge of specific unit patient placement criteria.
- Attends daily huddle, gathers and reports real time activity.
- Utilizes Whiteboard and updates throughout the day.
- Communicate to teammates via Lync.
- Formal handoff to teammates when shift if completed.
- Provides ongoing update of anticipated transfers. Collaborate with charge nurses and nursing supervisors to identify barriers to timely transfers and discharges to optimize bed utilization.
- Partners with charge nurses and nursing supervisor to identify and problem-solve patient placement barriers to expedite the bed assignment process.
- Communicates to ER charge nurse if request for placement exceeds twenty (20) minutes.
- Manages forecasted admits.
- Emails Project Access Report daily.
- Manages daily surgery schedule and pends patients in Epic.
- Adheres to established policy and procedure, escalating issues through the established Chain of Command in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation relating to all calls.
- Maintains flexibility in planning for patients needs and updates arrangements as needed.
- Manages and follows process for ED, Surgery and Direct Admit workflows.
- Attends daily nursing supervisor huddle and communicate back to teammates, shares information via Whiteboard.
- Provides status updates on transferring patients into and out of hospital to the sending and receiving physicians.
- Must be able to multi-task simultaneously and handle stress, prioritize incoming calls based on patient needs and collaborate with patient-care providers.
Required qualifications for this postion include:
- Associate's Degree in Healthcare related program. Two years of equivalent work experience in a healthcare setting may be accepted in lieu of the degree requirement
- Two (2) years job related experience (including, but not limited to ED, critical care, call center, front office) in a healthcare setting
About Swedish Shared Services:
Swedish is the largest, most comprehensive, nonprofit health provider in the Greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty centers in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, , a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the Puget Sound area.
Each campus has a local operations leadership team, supported by centrally located and led corporate services, such as Human Resources, Financial and Information Services.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Patient Services
Work Locations: First Hill Main Bldg (WA145) 747 Broadway Seattle, 98122
Req ID: 314315