The Retail Pharmacy Intern will provide collaborative pharmaceutical care through integrated drug distribution, consistent service, and interactions with interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teams within the University of Kansas Health Care System.
- Assists in accurate medication order filling, compounding and record keeping to assure timely delivery of medications. Prepares medications using appropriate technique and equipment. Medications include, but are not limited to: Intravenous admixtures, chemotherapy, total parenteral nutrition, oral unit-dose or prepackaged medications, compounds, investigational drugs
- Operates computer systems to accurately input medication orders and obtain necessary patient information.
- Uses a courteous and professional customer-focused approach while interacting directly or on the telephone with customers. Directs customers with potential problems to the pharmacist, supervisor or administrator as appropriate.
- Assists in maintaining pharmacy inventory and record keeping in accordance with state and federal law. Assures timely distribution of prescribed medications and stock items to nursing units and other hospital departments.
- Strives to remove barriers in achieving excellent pharmaceutical care by participating in organizational and departmental performance improvement efforts and utilizing effective communication skills relative to these initiatives.
- Maintains supervisor awareness of personal and team activities affecting the department. Reports medication errors at appropriate time of occurrence. Maintains a plan for personal development and completion of competency validation records. Participates in goal setting and ongoing development of team members.
- Takes responsibility for professional development and advancement of learning in the study of pharmacy.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid Kansas and/or Missouri licensure as a registered pharmacy intern