Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Endoscopy Technician (1.0 FTE, Days) to work in Endoscopy at Swedish Ballard in Seattle, WA.
The Endoscopy Technician is a multi-task position that is expected to schedule procedures, perform computer data entry for ph studies, and assist in the procedure room.
In this position you will:
- Specimen collection under the supervision of the RN. Responsible for properly labeling, handling and transporting specimens.
- Schedule procedures accurately and appropriately.
- Download recorded ph studies, enters diary data accurately, saves study to designated computer file/folder.
- Assist the staff as delegated in performing patient care activities according to policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Provide basic emergency care.
- Provide patient comfort measures.
- Provide safe patient transfer.
- Communicate changes in patient condition and patient/family concerns to team members in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean, safe patient care area and staff work area.
- Organize environment by selecting and preparing the proper equipment instrumentation and supplies needed for a procedure in a cost-effective manner. Pre-cleaning and transport of used scopes and accessories and follows blood borne pathogens and biohazard waste removal procedures.
- Assist in appropriate care, handling and cleaning of equipment and instruments according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Inspection for visible damage. Perform leak testing procedures; test methods, actions to take with a failed leak test. Cleaning methods, (e.g. manual, mechanical) cleaning implements (e.g. brushes) and equipment (automated flushing systems, automated endoscope reprocessors) for flexible scopes and accessories.
- Clean body fluids/bio-hazardous waste, spills and breakages appropriately following the organizations’ guidelines. Comply with high level disinfection methods (e.g. manual, mechanical (AER) and post disinfection procedures (e.g. alcohol flush, drying), labeling and dating.
- Track the location of equipment and helps maintain the inventory of equipment.Reports need for maintenance or repair of equipment. Follows Medical Device Reporting and Compliance with Manufacturer’s Instructions for Use of equipment.
- Monitor and maintains clean linen supply and restocks supplies in rooms.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment. Assures compliance with regulatory standards, best practices, procedures and/or guidelines that impact on patient, employee or environmental safety; reporting instances of non-compliance.
- Assist in the pre-procedure safety pause by verifying the patient’s name, MRN, date of birth, type of procedure, and the physician performing the procedure. Follows patients safety measures, e.g. Latex allergy; ergonomics.
- Assist with placing the BP cuff, pulse oximeter sensor, and ECG leads on the patient under the supervision of the RN.
- Assist with position of patient during the procedure.
- Consult with team members and or nurse manager when the technician recognizes that the delegated care extends outside of the Endoscopy Technician’s role or ability.
Required Qualifications in this position includes:
- Completion of a Surgical Technology, Anesthesia Technologist, Certified Nurse Assistant or Medical Assistant program.
- One year of experience (within 3 years of assuming the position) in a medical setting as a Surgical Technologist, Anesthesia Technologist, Nursing Assistant Certification or Certified Medical Assistant required.
- Completion of 12 months of full-time employment or equivalent part-time hours processing flexible endoscopes preferred. Knowledge of infection control procedures including PPE, Blood Borne Pathogens, biohazard waste removal.
- Technician will have experience in scheduling procedures, computer data entry for ph studies, and assisting in the procedure room.
- Basic computer skills, such as data entry, are required.
- Employees in this position must demonstrate flexibility and multi-tasking skills that are essential in this job.
- Ability to read, write and understand English is required. Basic math aptitude and knowledge of units of measurement required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals including cleaning methods, (e.g. manual, mechanical) cleaning implements (e.g. brushes) and equipment (automated flushing systems, automated endoscope reprocessors) for flexible scopes/accessories. Ability to effectively present information in small group situations.
- Ability to recognize malfunctions of instruments and equipment, and decide proper course of corrective action.
- Assists the staff as delegated in performing patient care activities according to policies and procedures in a timely manner
- Current Surgical Technologist, Nursing Assistant Certification or Certified Medical Assistant in the state of Washington required.
- Current BLS certification required
- Nursing Assistant Certification or Certified Medical Assistant in the state of Washington required.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- GI Scope Certification is preferred.
About the Ballard Campus:
Swedish's Ballard campus maintains its strong ties to the Ballard community and fosters a team-oriented work environment. The Ballard campus has an active obstetrics program and a full-service Emergency Department. It is the site of Swedish’s Addiction Recovery Services — one of the few hospital-based drug- and alcohol-treatment programs in Seattle.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Endoscopy Techs
Work Locations: Ballard Main Bldg (WA148) 5300 Tallman Ave Nw Seattle, 98107
Req ID: 312973