Providence is calling a Patient Attendant (Act Smmc Ams, Night Shift, 0.9 FTE) to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Assist professional nursing staff with direct observation of patients and by performing basic non-technical tasks under direction and supervision.
- Provide secondary assistance with nursing staff for patient bed mobility and patient transfers.
- Adhere to department procedures and standards.
- Prepare room and bed for receiving patient, ensuring a clean and safe environment. Continues to observe patient's environment to ensure safety and comfort.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families, and staff demonstrating a positive and caring attitude; demonstrates sensitivity to patient's emotional, social and mental health needs.
- Recognize and report changes in the patient and the environment following department procedures and standards. Immediately alerts nursing personnel to emergency situations.
- Adhere to standard policies as outlined in the unit related to infection control, fire and safety, hazardous chemicals, personnel policies, and departmental procedures and standards.
- Provide age appropriate care. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the department/unit as outlined in the established procedures.
- Participate in maintaining safety of patients and environment; ensuring patients are not left or placed in an unsafe situation.
- Participate in unit and hospital wide quality improvement activities in order to improve patient care.
- Flexibility: Demonstrate flexibility by readily adapting to different situations to complete work.
- JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
- Document legibly and accurately on the correct nursing forms and electronic medical record.
- Monitor pain, provides comfort measures, and reports abnormal findings promptly to the RN.
- Consider age, developmental level, body size and preexisting conditions when performing basic activity of daily living care to assigned patients.
- Maintain a safe patient and staff environment. (i.e. Correct body mechanics or use of adaptive equipment when transferring patients, ensures drainage tubes are secure/intact).
- Monitor the patient in restraints for specified criteria and at specified time intervals and documents correctly on the restraint form.
- Provide specified nourishment to the correct patient and promptly notifies the RN of any changes or abnormal findings.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions when using selected equipment, taking into account the patient’s size, preexisting conditions, and age. (i.e. patient lifts, use of transfer belt).
- Use age appropriate communication techniques with patients and visitors.
- When in the attendant role, never leaves the patient alone, and reorients patient frequently.
- Complete assignments delegated by RN within specified timeframes.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Current BLS - Healthcare provider (must be AHA accredited)
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington is a full service hospital with some of the best technology, expertise, specialists and primary care physicians in the region. We have been named the 100 top hospitals in the United States by two separate, independent research companies, Solucient and Cleverly Associates. Walla Walla is located in the southeastern region of Washington state and offers a sunny, mild climate, the benefits of living in a historic college town, outdoor activities and excellent public & private schools at all levels.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Location: Washington-Walla Walla
Req ID: 294572