Providence is calling a Temporary Surgical Technician I ( Full-Time/Variable Shift) to Providence Little Company Of Mary Torrance Hospital in Torrance, CA.
Please upload a current resume reflecting all relevant experience.
Apply today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with additional questions from our MODERN HIRE system.
We are seeking a Temporary Surgical Technician I who will perform the surgical scrub role and works under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). This assignment will last 3 to 4 months. These duties may include reviewing preference lists and picking the supplies and instruments for a procedure; performing a surgical scrub and preparing the back table with the appropriate sterile instrumentation and supplies; providing support intra-operatively by anticipating the surgeon's needs and passing him/her the appropriate instrumentation and supplies when needed during the case; completing the cycle by taking instruments and equipment to the decontamination area at the end of the procedure and putting away left over supplies and equipment. Provides patient care to the following age groups: premature infants, infants, pediatrics, adolescents, young, middle and older adults.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Understand all forms of sterilization utilized within the surgery department including: Pre-vac Steam Sterilization of wrapped items, Flash steam sterilization of unwrapped items immediately prior to use, Steris (liquid periacetic acid) Sterilization process, and Sterrad (plasma H2O2) process
- Recognize and correctly interpret sterility indicators for all sterilization processes used, as well as for purchased sterile items
- Expiration date, when present, is checked for every item opened
- Able to perform the morning check of all flash sterilizers and Steris machines, and can perform weekly biological indicator check for flash sterilizers
- Understand and complete documentation on any flash or Steris sterilized instruments when applicable
- Able to review and manage sterilizer print-outs when assigned
- Understand use of OPA, Cidex or other high-level disinfection solutions, including when it’s appropriate to use, how to test, use, rinse, handle, and document
- Review surgical preference lists and gathers the necessary supplies and instruments for a scheduled surgical procedure:
- Suggest changes to preference lists when applicable
- Follow Standard Precautions at all times including correct use of Personal Protective Equipment as needed
- Follow Isolation Precautions correctly (Droplet, Contact, Airborne) when needed
- Practice surgical aseptic technique, including correct hand asepsis (hand-washing), surgical hand-asepsis (surgical hand scrub) and demonstrates good “surgical conscience”
- Correctly handle surgical medications as per hospital policy:
- Only RNs should dispense medications to the sterile field
- Compliance with hospital policy on medication labeling and handling on the sterile field
- Compliance with “Do Not Use” policy with respect to abbreviations and medication labeling
- Correctly complete change of shift or permanent relief medication identification
- Correctly handle sharps during and after surgery, protecting self and others on the team from injury by using best practices
- Participate correctly in surgical counts in compliance with current policy and best practice, including change of shift and permanent relief counts
- Correctly handle all surgical specimens according to policy (including change of shift or permanent relief), and communicates correct information to circulating RN
- Accept sterile items opened onto field ONLY from circulating RN and never from a vendor
- Participate correctly in Pre-operative Time Out (according to department Universal Protocol policy), and does not provide instruments to surgeon until the Time Out is completed
- Implement all fire prevention and safety protocols with respect to ESU use, Laser use, endoscopic instrument use, following department policy
- Assist the surgical team during the operative procedure by anticipating the instrument and supply needs of the surgeon and passing items to him/her as needed, and communicating effectively with the circulating RN
- Able to scrub on procedures in at least the following areas: General, Gyn, Urology, ENT, Plastic, Minor Orthopedic and Minor Vascular
- Continually demonstrate ability to organize and transport the instruments and equipment for cleaning and sterilization. (Fine instruments separated, instrument sets separated as much as possible, delicate endoscopy lenses fully protected from damage, ensuring that non-disposable instruments are not disposed of)
- During emergency call (when department is otherwise closed), correctly wash instruments after the case, in accordance with department policy
- Assure the surgical suite is left in good order following the procedure:
- Put away equipment and extra supplies
- Maintain confidentiality on all patient and hospital related information
- Assist R.N. with other tasks as assigned
- Act as a team problem solver by being an active member of unit/staff meetings and other committees
- Understand and is responsible to perform within general scope of practice
- Safely transport patients to and from surgical department as directed by the charge RN or circulating RN, in compliance with department policy
- Cover on-call assignments and arrives at the facility within 30 minutes of first notification call
- Development/Professional Growth:
- Assume responsibility and accountability for own professional growth
- Responsible for designated hours of continuing education to learn new techniques and specialties within the operating room environment
- Attend staff development activities of department
- Participate in in-services and committees, as assigned
- Attend 80% of department meetings
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Successfully completed training as a surgical technician at an accredited school
- Current American Heart Association BCLS certification
- Able to perform basic arithmetic computations (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Able to perform all physical requirements pertaining to delegated tasks
- Accurately and efficiently complete assigned tasks
- Able to organize and prioritize work to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Fluent ability to understand and communicate using basic medical terminology
- Able to establish and maintain a courteous and cooperative (service-oriented) working relationship with patients, families and co-workers
Preferred qualifications for this position includes:
- High School Diploma - or- GED
- Recent, hospital clinical experience in the operating room
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance is a 436-bed non-profit hospital that has served the greater South Bay communities of Los Angeles since 1960. We have a reputation for clinical excellence and sophisticated technology while providing care with a personal, healing touch. In addition to the finest general medical, surgical and critical care services, we offer a number of specialty programs including Cardiovascular Services, Women’s and Children’s Health, Oncology, and Emergency Care. We are proud to be named one of the Top 50 U.S. Hospitals for Heart Care by Thomson Reuters, the only community hospital in California to receive this honor. We were one of five hospitals in the United States recognized by American Hospital Association-McKesson for leadership and innovation in quality improvement. We received The Choice Award by AAHCP for Outstanding Customer Service Delivery, and were one of 24 hospitals and health systems in the nation to receive the Premier Award for Quality by the Premier healthcare alliance. As a member of Providence Health & Services, a Catholic-sponsored healthcare ministry, we believe strongly in respecting the dignity of each person, and give special concern to the most vulnerable members of our community.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Surgical Techs
Req ID: 298800