We are looking for a Surgical Technologist II for the Surgical Services Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka.
$7,500 Sign-On Bonus for qualified candidates based on experience!
Location: Eureka, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Under the general direction of the Director of Surgical Services, the Surgical Technologist II performs advanced skills of the Surgical Tech I and is responsible for maintenance of equipment and systems, room turnover, case flow, cost containment and financial reimbursement. Provides age appropriate care (assists with data collection and providing care) for the infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients
- Continuously assists with surgical procedures as scrub tech.
- Continuously maintains and monitors sterile technique and supplies.
- Frequently cleans, assembles and safely operates highly technical equipment.
- Continuously participates in quality improvement/cost efficiency efforts.
- Frequently performs related work as required.
- Continuously maintains advanced Surgical Tech I expertise and functions in primary Surgical Tech role.
- Continuously assists in maintaining adequate levels of special supplies and equipment in the operating room.
- Ability to take call for night, weekend and holidays to provide 24-hour coverage.
- Continuously maintain calendar of scheduled cases with posted information.
- Frequently facilitates communication and planning to increase confidence and continuity of case flow.
- Frequently coordinates standardization of equipment and budget justification for potential capital purchases in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Continuously maintains advance Surgical Tech I expertise and functions in primary Surgical Tech role.
- Demonstrates scrubbing competencies in at least 4 major specialties as documented in competency list.
- Prepares for each surgical procedure utilizing the surgeon’s preference card to pick appropriate supplies and equipment that is procedure-specific.
- Updates preference cards.
- Demonstrates competency for assembling all equipment and instrumentation relative to competency in identified specialties. Conducts and/or schedules in-services on various systems for staff.
- Participates in the orientation process for new employees. Maintains updated library of surgical protocols.
- Shows care when handling delicate instruments and communicates to CS when instruments are broken or in need of repair.
- Organization of Care:
- Follows standards for conduct during surgical procedure.
- Practices aseptic techniques.
- Keeps environment free from hazards.
- Participates in counts in compliance with established counts.
- Continuously maintains calendar of scheduled cases with posted information. Notifies OR Materials Coordinator in timely manner. Checks schedule daily to ensure equipment is available, processed and in good repair.
- Facilitates room turnover and case flow. Requests PAR level changes as needed.
- Demonstrates organizational skills in set up of mayo stand and back table, prepared for start of procedure, able to anticipate surgeons’ needs.
- Facilitates communication and planning to increase confidence and continuity of case flow by providing education and consultation on systems and equipment, advising on proper use of instruments and recommends additional, deletions and changes to procedures.
- Participates in the orientation process for new employees.
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
- Resource Utilization:
- Responsible for the maintenance of implant systems, instrumentation and equipment. Initiates needed repairs or changes to instrument sets.
- Coordinates process for tracing project failures or recalls.
- Assists team in obtaining needed resources for procedures. Makes recommendations to OR Manager regarding equipment and supplies.
- Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
- Safety: Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
- Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
- Uses all work time productively in work-related activities.
- Quality Improvement: Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements, and facilitates change. CQI involvement on department/SJHS-HC level.
- Knowledge of principles of aseptic techniques and universal precautions.
- Ability to function as a member of a team, highly flexible in wide range of surgical specialty services.
- Ability and motivation to demonstrate positive customer service orientation toward patients, physicians and co-workers.
- Ability to function under stress and maintain emotional stability and an even temperament; displays team efforts consistently.
- Mechanical ability and aptitude.
- Ability to read, understand and complete written forms.
- Knowledge and understanding of anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of inventory procedures.
- Knowledge of phones, intercoms, computers and specialty equipment.
- Ability to identify when to involve team leader/supervisor in problem solving
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education : Completion of an accredited Surgical Technologist program within 1 year of employment.
Experience: 5 years experience in a major service area (i.e. ortho, neuro, trauma, cardiac).
- Current BLS/CPR certification for the professional rescuer.
- Certification as a Surgery Technician
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."
It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.
Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County.
Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.
To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Surgical Techs
Req ID: R339197