Advance your career working at a Magnet recognized hospital known for clinical quality and patient safety. Providence St. Joseph Health offers a comprehensive range of benefits including but not limited to professional advancement, extensive health and program wellness offerings as well as competitive compensation, PTO, and retirement plans. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are looking for a Pharmacy Technician for the Nursing Support Department at St. Joseph Hospital Orange.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Evenings
Under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist, the technician assists the pharmacist in all aspects of the departmental operation. Duties and responsibilities include the filling and maintenance of the unit-dose, patient medication cassettes, IV admixture, floorstock, and drug inventory systems. Performs relevant tasks including repackaging, compounding, record keeping, billing, clerical functions, an other tasks as assigned. Participates in quality assurance and performance improvement activities, and departmental education and training. Maintains departmental standards and translates policies and procedures into the daily practice. The pharmacy technician reports directly to the pharmacist on duty and indirectly to a supervisor or manager
- Accurate and timely filling and delivery of medication orders, patient medication cassettes, Pyxis floorstocks, and interdepartmental floorstocks. Maintains the unit-dose medication system by performing tasks relating to the repackaging and batching of medications. Compounds extemporaneous preparations of drugs. Performs all assigned duties and functions accurately and efficiently. Prepares IV admixture products accurately and timely, practicing good aseptic techniques, adhering to USP 797 standards, and adopting best practices in daily routines.
- Demonstrates competency in the operation and troubleshooting of Meditech, Pyxis, outpatient computer system, Pyxis Connect, and other pharmacy-related equipment and machines.
- Retrieves and prioritizes medication orders via tube/fax system, and timely send checked medication orders to ensure optimal turn-around time of STAT and routine medication orders.
- Effectively assists pharmacists with technical functions such as order screening, telephone calls, window service, handling inquiries and requests regarding the drug distribution system and departmental operation & procedures, operation and troubleshooting of pharmacy-related equipment and machines, and other tasks upon request by the pharmacist.
- Organizes, prioritizes assignments and demonstrates the ability to multi-task to complete work assignments efficiently. Understands and manages workflow effectively.
- Maintains clean and organized work areas.
- Maintains departmental drug inventory control by re-ordering low stock items, adequately restocking work areas. Communicates to the purchasing team of irregular utilization trends when applicable.
- Participates in the quality assurance and quality control activities of the department. Collects data, maintains logs, records, and other documentation as assigned.
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation and record keeping of controlled substances transactions as departmental policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of pharmacy laws, technician’s scopes of practice, role and functions of a pharmacist.
- Knowledge of proper aseptic techniques.
- Possess basic typing skills.
- Knowledge of basic drug terminology, pharmaceutical calculations, and basic pharmacology.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Experience: Experience working with computers.
Licenses/Certifications: Current, valid Pharmacy Technician certificate from the state of California.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: 1 year experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a hospital setting.
Licenses/Certifications: Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Compassion. Dignity. Justice. Excellence. Integrity.
These timeless values form the heart and soul of St. Joseph Hospital. They are the prime reason that we attract and retain high-caliber employees who believe in the sanctity of their work in our faith-based setting.
As a result of this affinity, most of our employees have remained with us for at least five years. Over 40 percent of our new employees were either referred by friends or applied to work at St. Joseph based on our reputation. It is little wonder, then, that retention rate is significantly higher than the average for healthcare institutions in our community.
When you take the latest in medical technology and place it in the hands of highly skilled clinicians, recognition is sure to follow. In July 2007, 2008 and 2009, St. Joseph Hospital was named one "America's Best Hospitals" for Orthopedic Care by U. S. News and World Report. This highly esteem recognition is testimony to our unique blend medical science and compassionate, values-based care.
A haven that feels like home.
St. Joseph Hospital offers a unique environment in which healthcare givers who share a kindred spirit can do important work and grow both spiritually and professionally. Here, values-based employees view their jobs not simply as careers but also as callings.
Care to get acquainted? Then we warmly invite you to explore the many career opportunities offered by St. Joseph Hospital!
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: St. Joseph Hospital Orange
Category: Pharmacy Technician
Req ID: R341502