Providence is calling a Medical Assistant II for a Full-time/Day Shift to Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, CA.
Applicants that meet qualifications will receive an email with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system
Please upload a current resume reflecting all relevant experience.
We are seeking a Medical Assistant II who will assist the physician in the delivery of direct patient care in the outpatient setting. Obtain pre-authorizations and schedule patient appointments for diagnostic testing, assist physician's and physician assistant with patient calls and requests, as well as applying and removing casts as instructed by the physician.
The Medical Assistant II will demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills, superior organizational skills, and be able to deal effectively with multiple demands.
In this position you will:
- Schedule appointments with ancillary departments or other care providers for patients as directed by physician. Answer general questions, obtains pre-authorizations for patient care services
- Escort patients to exam room
- Ensure patient charts are prepared prior to appointment to include all pertinent test results and x-rays for review with the physician
- Set up exam rooms and assist physician with exams as needed, monitor patient flow
- Apply and remove casts per physician instruction
- Review charge slips for patient care services rendered
- Assist with stocking supplies and cleaning rooms
- Order and maintain inventory of equipment required for casting and splinting
- Triage patient phone calls and provides guidance to inquire per institute protocols
- Validate prescriptions orders for medications, physical therapy, home health services, etc. under the guidance of the physician
- Provide work/school status information as authorized by patient and physician
- Ensure that all appropriate medical information is shared with, and collected from, other treating physicians for surgical patients
- Facilitate teamwork and effective flow of ideas by participating in an environment of trust characterized by openness, honesty, and fairness
- Facilitate good working relationships between physicians, staff, and administration. Maintain a high level of professionalism when working with others
- Practice in a professional, collaborative, and proactive manner in all interactions with patients, visitors, physicians and staff
- Demonstrate flexibility adjusting to changes in priorities and workload
- Participate in performance improvement activities related to the clinic
- Identify risk management issues, taking appropriate actions, and communicating unresolved issues to the appropriate personnel
- Practice cost effective methods in the delivery of care:
- Use available resources efficiently
- Demonstrate understanding of overall unit needs and using downtime to assist others
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for own performance and departments performance in regards to:
- Attendance and punctuality
- Positive public relations image and working relationships
- Obtaining necessary knowledge and skill needed to maintain competence
- Completing all mandatory requirements including current licensure and BLS
- Meeting regulatory compliance standards (e.g. JCAHO, Title 22, and HIPPA.)
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Graduation from accredited medical assisting program or equivalent educ/experience
- Current CPR certification
- 1 year medical back office assistant and casting experience in a hospital or physician practice
- Experience with bracing and orthotic application
- Knowledge and qualified in cast removal and application
- Able to communicate distinctly via telephone, in person and in writing utilizing the English language
- Ability to deal effectively with many people across a broad range of cultural backgrounds and ages
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate work
- Ability to work effectively with many people at various levels of the organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and appropriately prioritize
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Medical Assistant certification
About the hospital you will serve:
Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, is part of Providence Health & Services, an integrated, not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, medical clinics, home health services, affiliated services and educational facilities in the western United States. Founded in 1942, Providence Saint John’s Health Center enjoys a reputation for clinical excellence across many disciplines.
The 266-bed health center has a medical staff of more than 900 physicians, 1,800 employees and a host of volunteers who share a commitment to providing quality care for all.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Location: California-Santa Monica
Req ID: 307884