Responsible for performing within the microbiology section of the laboratory Will assist in organization of all work reported for that designated area. Will assist in maintaining and performing Quality control, Proficiency testing, instrument maintenance, and adherence to section policies and procedures. Responsible for helping maintain an adequate inventory of reagents and supplies at all GHS sites as appropriate Performs all microbiological procedures in an efficient and accurate manner. Communicates critical values according to lab policy Assists in training new employees in the microbiology section
Experience: A minimum of one following combinations is required:
- 2 years of experience in a clinical Microbiology section plus a Master’s degree in microbiology
- 4 years of experience in a clinical microbiology section plus a Bachelor’s degree in Medical laboratory science or equivalent
- 5 years of experience in a clinical microbiology laboratory and an Associate’s degree in Medical Laboratory science or equivalent
- Satisfactory completion of an MT or MLT program from an accredited school
- Certification by ASCP, AMT, or acceptable equivalent within one year of hire
- Experience and qualifications will include current knowledge of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria identification,
- Experience with automated systems for ID and sensitivities as well as automated blood cultures systems
- Knowledge and skills to include specialized microbiology systems
- Must have extensive knowledge of microbiology and laboratory terminology
- Must have ability to perform tasks accurately and efficiently in all areas of the microbiology department including all challenges for proficiency testing
- Must be self-motivated to pursue continuing education
- Must have working knowledge and experience in hospital micro-laboratory computer systems
- Must have efficient organizational skills
- Must have professional communication skills, must be teamwork oriented, and must display excellent customer service skills relating to co-workers, physicians, patients, and all other parties.
- Must be willing to accept responsibility for learning and performing all assigned tasks
- Flexibility to adapt to help in main lab areas as deemed necessary by shift lead, senior techs or lab director
- Experience or advanced training/education in molecular diagnostics is preferred but not required.
- Valuable additional skills include experience in main lab departments including but not limited to Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, Urinalysis, and Blood Bank.
Physical Requirements: Light-Medium Physical Agility Test (PAT) Rating
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; frequently to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert 15 to 20 pounds of force occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or 5 to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 5 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.