We are looking for a Patient Care Technician II for the Recovery Services - MV Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8 hour, Days
Under general supervision by the RN, the dual role Patient Care Tech/Unit Secretary provides nursing staff with clerical support to assist in facilitating patient care and is responsible for providing basic nursing care for in-patients and out-patients as needed, within their specified area. The Patient Care Tech/Secretary is responsible for collecting and reporting information to the supervising RN and completion of all patient care related documentation.
- Assisted Nursing Care: Assists with activities of daily living (ADLs), hygiene, feeding, toileting and other skills related to admission, discharge, pre- and post-op care, post mortem care, skin care and patient safety. Assists with patient transfer and ambulation as requested.
- Technical: Performs 12-lead EKG according to established policies and procedures, and accurately obtains patient’s vital signs. Applies and removes sequential and/or TED hose as requested by RN. Disconnects and reconnects NG and O2 tubing appropriately. Maintains aseptic technique. Empties fluid collection devices and ensures safe and accurate collection and handling of specimens. Supports the RN in obtaining accurate weights, application and removal of restraints and assists with basic orthopedic devices as directed by the RN. Performs additional technical duties appropriate to area of practice under the direction of the RN.
- Documentation: Accurately and in a timely manner, documents in the EMR the patients’ vital signs, oximetry readings, I & O’s, percentage of food eaten, turning/positioning, HS care, oral care/personal need care and other data requiring documentation.
- Immediately notifies RN of any abnormal/unusual findings of patient conditions, problems or data.
- Prepares and maintains patient care area/rooms and ensures they are clean and orderly. Removes and stores extra equipment in a timely manner. Enters work orders for needed equipment repairs and ensures follow up. Manages patient supplies in a fiscally responsible manner. Ensures storage rooms and hallways are neat and orderly and meet regulatory environmental standards.
- Information management: Able to access Hospital e-mail, Education Learning Modules, Care Net, and work orders. Evidence of basic order entry skills. Demonstrates knowledge of all unit goals and action plans.
- Maintains a safe environment by following JCAHO safety goals. Performs proactive rounding as directed and adheres to all hospital and departmental policies, procedures and regulatory requirements. Responds promptly to all patient call lights and alarms with effective follow through and participates in all fall interventions and unit specific safety practices and goals.
- Other: Ensures patient safety for patients at risk for self harm, injury, or who have court holds through constant observation and appropriate use of behavioral competencies.
- Processes physician’s orders with review by RN and notifies nursing personnel of orders requiring immediate attention. Ensures that all patient related information is correct. Completes appropriate forms and/or makes related computer data entries and contacts appropriate departments to schedule diagnostic tests, meals, and therapies consistent with physician’s orders.
- Communication: Answers telephone calls in a courteous and timely manner. Responds to routine inquires and relays other calls and messages as necessary. Responds to patients’ call lights and notifies appropriate personnel of patients’ requests. Greets and directs patients and visitors in a friendly and courteous manner. Supports unit goals to improve the patient experience.
- Performs clerical duties such as managing communication devices and equipment each shift, filing, photocopying, faxing, running errands, completing charge slips, updating patient census, noting admissions, transfers and discharges and ordering patient related clerical supplies. Monitors availability of current forms, supplies and equipment on a daily basis. Removes outdated stock and notifies registered nurse of any work orders needed or supply issues to assure readiness at all times.
- Assembles medical charts for newly admitted patients and maintains current charts in compliance with hospital standards and regulatory requirements. Disassembles and routes patient charts to appropriate departments upon discharge, transfer, expiration or as requested.
- Good verbal and written communication skills for regular contact with employees, patients and patient’s families; requires tact.
- Positive interpersonal skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Visual capabilities to observe patients.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology/anatomy.
- Ability to work with others in a flexible, cooperative manner.
- Moderate mental application and concentration to handle varying procedures and interruptions.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific competency inventory.
- Computer skills on MS Windows based PC system.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education : Coursework/Training For hires after 10/31/16:
- Completion of a CNA program, Or
- Completion of first semester nursing program, Or
- EMT program completion.
Experience : Experience with basic data entry
- Current AHA Healthcare provider BLS certification.
- Hires after 10/31/16 require:
- Current CNA license, Or
- Completion of first semester nursing program, Or
- EMT certification.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education : Coursework/Training - Satisfactory completion of a medical terminology course or Knowledge of medical terminology
- 1 year of acute patient care experience, Or
- 6 months experience in a direct patient care environment providing clerical or patient support related to Provider, patient documentation or charting.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Other Healthcare Support
Req ID: R337932