Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Clinical Laboratory Supervisor (1.0 FTE, Evening Shift) to work in Core Lab at Swedish Edmonds in Edmonds, Washington.
Provides technical and operational supervision and direction for the clinical laboratory. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, safety, environmental and infection control standards so that the laboratory remains in compliance with accreditation and licensing agencies. Assures adequate staffing and provides work direction to include scheduling, evaluations, and counseling. Performs the essential job functions of a Medical Technologist. Provides input for the budgeting process.
In this position you will:
- Supervises laboratory personnel, both technical and non-technical, to ensure the delivery of quality laboratory services for patient care.
- Hires, counsels, evaluates, disciplines, and terminates staff.
- Functions effectively in widely varying laboratory situations. Demonstrate initiative, sound, independent judgment and control in any event. Supervise all laboratory activities to assure continuous quality patient care.
- Continuous readiness for the College of American Pathologists Laboratory Accreditation program, The Joint Commission, Federal Drug Administration or other accrediting or licensing agency. Collaborates with the laboratory compliance officer to ensure continued compliance with all federal and state laws applicable to the laboratory is followed.
- Staff: selection, training, performance evaluation and preparation of personnel actions, and staff development for the areas of responsibility. Oversees the orientation of new employees. Provides new employees with appropriate and consistent information. As necessary, collaborate with other supervisors to prepare the work schedules. Prepare daily assignment schedules for the areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with other supervisors to ensure a smooth and continuous processing of specimens and related activities to meet the expected turnaround times of the laboratory. Collaborate with co-workers to prioritize workflow and to evaluate the section’s physical workflow for opportunities to improve and enhance the services provided by the department.
- Provides technical expertise to the laboratory, hospital staff, and to laboratory’s external clients to ensure quality services and customer/client satisfaction.
- Leads the document management process for the areas of responsibility, to include, but not be limited to: Document preparation (policies, processes, procedures, forms, memos, training materials, etc.); Periodic review; Document changes; Document security; Document communication.
- Periodically reviews records of quality control, instrument logs, safety etc., documents the findings and takes appropriate actions as required to maintain operational readiness at all times.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, or an appropriately related field, from a regionally accredited college/university.
- 3 years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in the specialty in the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission accredited laboratory within the last six years. These three years of experience must be acquired post baccalaureate degree and be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist;.
- MT/MLS (ASCP or equivalent) certification and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/ university, and three years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission accredited laboratory within the last six years. These three years of experience must be acquired post baccalaureate degree and be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Master's Degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, or an appropriately related field, from a regionally accredited college/univers
- 3 years of Laboratory supervisory experience.
- Certification as a Specialist in Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, or in Blood Banking (ASCP or equivalent).
About the Edmonds Campus
Swedish/Edmonds (formerly Stevens Hospital) has been providing sound and thoughtful care for patients in the greater Seattle area for more than 45 years. We pride ourselves in employing only the most qualified and caring professionals. We are not simply a hospital or a workplace. We are a family. We are a community. Our mission is to improve the health and well-being of the community through local, high-quality and compassionate health care services. On Sept. 1, 2010, Stevens joined the Swedish family and became Swedish/Edmonds to create an innovative, regional health-care delivery network that provides more local services, while giving residents greater access to the latest medical treatments and the comprehensive services of the Swedish system.
The Swedish/Edmonds campus includes:
217 licensed beds
450 of the most qualified physicians and specialists on medical staff
1,400 staff including clinical and non-clinical personnel
Full scope of medical and surgical services, including Level IV Trauma emergency medicine, diagnostic, treatment and support services
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Lab Technologist
Work Locations: Edmonds Main Bldg (WA151) 21601 76th Ave W Edmonds, 98026
Req ID: 307230