We are looking for a Surgical Technician for the Surgical Services - LB Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12 hour, Days
Under direct supervision, and supported by the assigned preceptor, prepares for basic surgical procedures in less complex surgical specialties for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients. Arranges the sterile instrumentation according to AORN recommended practices and hospital policy and procedures. Assists surgeons by passing instruments and supplies, holding retractors, and anticipating the surgeon's needs during course of surgery. Assists in cleaning and stocking the operating room and stores equipment and supplies according to equipment and supply directories. Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the required competencies within six months to achieve promotion to Surgical Technician II, and be prepared to take call.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow the operating room attire policy by donning appropriate scrub clothing, cap, mask, and safety protective devices, i.e., goggles. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of surgical procedures to prepare for daily procedures in advance, using reference materials and the physician preference cards as needed. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Demonstrates the ability to adequately prepare for the surgical procedure, including obtaining the physician preference card, correctly pulling sterile supplies and instrumentation, checking that all necessary equipment is present in the operating room, fully functional and correctly positioned. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Demonstrates use of aseptic technique in opening sterile supplies and instrumentation for the surgical procedure by checking for packaging integrity, and proper opening and delivery of supplies to the sterile field.
- Demonstrates the ability to function in the scrub role through the knowledge of the base theory and practice in the surgical specialties including general surgery, gynecology, genitourinary, ENT, orthopedics, plastic/reconstructive, thoracic, neurosurgery, and pediatrics.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform a proper surgical hand scrub, gowning, and gloving of self and team according to the hospital policy.
- Counts sponges, needles, and instruments used during surgery with R.N., according to policy and procedure prior to start of surgery and before closing, and assists with sterile dressing of operative site following procedure. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Receives surgical specimens, places in appropriate container, using universal precautions, confirms with physician, and notifies circulating nurse source of specimen. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Prepares instrumentation for transfer from O.R. suite to instrument room per hospital policy and procedure, communicating any need for repair to instrument room personnel. Transports instrumentation and equipment in such a manner to ensure minimal breakage or damage, and maintains the principles of universal precautions. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Remains in O.R. suite at the end of case to help ensure safe patient transfer. Assists anesthesiologist and nurse to post-op unit as necessary, demonstrating the ability to meet the age-related needs of the specific population served in regards to safety precautions. Helps with room turnover to meet defined turnover time goals. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Ability to read and write in order to interpret schedule and prepare for operative procedures, knowledge of basic anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Ability to acquire necessary familiarity with surgeons' preferences; be able to accurately identify large volumes of surgical instruments and supplies, and gain knowledge of unit policies and procedures.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with surgeons and other patient care personnel, often during emergency situations.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to organize and prepare operating room according to standard methods and procedures.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to eighty percent of work time when performing technical tasks and anticipating surgeons' needs.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods (more than eighty percent of work time) and to occasionally lifts and position patients when preparing patients for operative procedures. Manual dexterity necessary to grasp and hold firmly retractors and delicate surgical instruments.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific competency Inventory, which prepares the candidate to take call.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Coursework/Training- Certificate of completion of formalized surgical technologist training program.
- Coursework/Training- Successful completion of an accredited program in operating room procedures and sterile techniques usually lasting a minimum of 1 year.
License/Certification: Healthcare Provider level BLS Certification.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Surgical Techs
Req ID: R338030