Apply today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with additional questions from our MODERN HIRE screening and interview system.
Providence is calling a Medical Assistant II (Full-Time/Day Shift) to Providence Medical Institute in San Pedro, CA.
Please upload a current resume reflecting all relevant experience.
We are seeking a Medical Assistant II who will work under the delegation of a licensed practitioner to perform duties as directed to assist in providing patient care to assigned patients. A MA II performs all aspects of the MA I role and is fully competent in the clinical needs/functions for assigned clinic/location of work. An MA II is expected to perform in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Perform all duties and passed competency testing/evaluation as required for a Medical Assistant I
- Ability to perform all front and back office skills as appropriate to role and certification. (ex: vital signs, set up/assist with minor procedures, EKG, blood pressure, point of care testing, patient authorizations, scheduling, etc.)
- Perform increasingly advanced procedures with validated competencies.
- Provide accurate, complete, legible and timely documentation of all procedures performed in the patient's medical record
- Follow correct procedures for handling and disposing of biohazardous, infectious, and pharmaceutical waste
- According to organizational standards, prepare, clean and sterilize, and/or reprocess, instruments (autoclaving) and maintain equipment with validated competencies
- Anticipate and proactively plan for practitioner and patient needs
- Demonstrate a commitment to education and sharing of knowledge
- Assist in orientation of new team members and serves as a role model of best practices to others
- Provide open and timely communication and information to patients, families, and practitioners (as appropriate)
- Consistently meet skill based competency expectations established for the organization
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of the organization and serve as an ambassador for the organization when interfacing with anyone outside the organization
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Graduate of accredited school for medical assistants or an equivalent combination of coursework, experience/training to qualify to sit for the CA State or National Certification exam
- Required: Effective 7/1/2021, all newly hired MA’s must obtain National certification/registration by AMCA, AAMA, AMT, NHA, NCCT, or NAHP as a Medical Assistant within 12 months of hire date.
- Existing caregivers in the MA role as of 7/1/2021, will have 12 months to obtain their National MA certification as listed above.
- Required upon hire: Current BLS - Must be AHA accredited
- 6 months Healthcare experience
- 6 months Medical Assistant experience
- Flexibility to meet the changing needs of the patients and the various clinics
- Ability to treat people with respect under all circumstances, instill trust in others while upholding the values of the organization
- Ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally, as well as to interact in a professional manner with colleagues, patients, families, and visitors
- Demonstrated PC skills (ex: MS Office and EHR use)
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail
- Demonstrates awareness of current state, federal, and local laws relating to position and patient care
- Complies with all applicable infection control and safety procedures
- Increasingly expanded knowledge of principles and practices governing MA role and the ability to apply them effectively
- Performs delegated work with minimal oversight
- Must possess expanded knowledge of vaccinations, medications, their use, to include brand and generic names related to the clinic/location supported
- Ability to analyze, problem solve, and prioritize multiple tasks under pressure
- Demonstrates a high degree of accountability with increasing responsibilities
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Active national certification/registration by AMCA, AAMA, AMT, NHA, NCCT, or NAHP as a Medical Assistant
About the ministry you will serve.
Providence Health & Services Southern California is further developing its physician integration strategy. Historically, the largest asset has been Providence Medical Institute, a medical foundation that provides administrative and other support services to affiliated medical groups. Providence Medical Institute is expected to grow significantly in the next several years, bringing with it facilities, staff and physician growth to support that objective.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Location: California-San Pedro
Req ID: 303919