We are looking for an Ultrasound Technologist I for the Ultrasound - SJE Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Location: Eureka, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 10-hour, Days
Under the direction of the Department Director, supervision of the Radiology Supervisor, and in collaboration with radiologists, the Ultrasound Technologist I performs clinical diagnostic ultrasound imaging procedures and related activities according to department standards for all patients served: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Serves as a customer service representative to patients, their families, the public, and the medical staff. Participates in quality control and organizational improvement activities. Participates in call schedule to meet staffing needs of the department. Staff members who treat patients of a specific age group must be aware of the regulatory and accreditation requirements specific to that population. The specific information and skills related to the position presented in this job description include the following age group populations: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Incorporates physical, motor/sensory adaptation, cognitive, psychosocial factors into the diagnostic imaging process (e.g., behavior inconsistent with developmental stage, medications, educational needs, abuse/neglect, communication, etc.).
• Reviews exam orders, previous studies, and other supportive data. Discusses any special patient or exam needs with radiologist as is necessary. Transports patients appropriately after verifying identity.
• Prepares room for study with necessary supplies, transducer gel, VCR tapes, etc. Provides patients with thoughtful explanations of ultrasound procedures in an age-appropriate manner.
• Based on ultrasound request and analysis of patient, performs diagnostic ultrasound exams according to department standards. Identifies and annotates each study in an appropriate manner.
• Analyzes patient’s body habitus, general physical condition, age, and suspected pathology; selects the applicable technical factors for a given ultrasound study.
• Assists physicians and other health team members as required by assisting during sterile, complicated or difficult procedures. Serves as a resource for experience sonographers.
• Checks each study for completeness and accuracy. Reviews studies with radiologist or ordering physician when possible before releasing the patient.
• Ensures equipment is operating correctly prior to patient use. Reports malfunctions on a timely basis.
• Performs accurate paperwork and data entry in terms of exam performance, patient history, charges, and related functions. Ensures that patient confidentiality is maintained.
• Assists in collecting statistics, outcome data, and other information in CQI activities.
• Although ionizing radiation is not used in ultrasound, sonographers are required to understand and practice appropriate radiation safety habits as members of the radiology team.
• Radiation exposure to patients, staff and self is consistent with ALARA principles, good practice standards, and regulatory requirements.
• Resource Utilization: Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
• Safety: Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
◦ Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
◦ Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
• Quality Improvement: Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements and facilitates changes.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Coursework/Training - Graduate of a program in diagnostic ultrasound approved by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the American Medical Association or Completed equivalent training through self-study, on-the-job training, etc.
Licenses/Certifications: Current CPR certification
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: Experience as a hospital-based ultrasound technologist.
Licenses/Certifications: Successful completion of national certification examinations in obstetrical/gynecological, abdominal, vascular, and small parts ultrasound conducted by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."
It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.
Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County.
Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.
To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Ultrasound Technologist
Req ID: R337304