Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with some additional questions for you to answer from our Modern Hire system.
Providence is calling a Medical Technologist and Laboratory Compliance Officer and Point of Care Coordinator (Clinical Laboratory Services, Variable, 1.0 FTE) to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Consistently demonstrate adherence to the principles and requirements outlined in the Commitments and Compliance Integrity Program and any other organization or departmental materials related to compliance with laws, regulatory requirements.
- Consistently demonstrate adherence to Medicare and Medicaid regulations which directly or indirectly relate to the performance and job expectations.
- Employee demonstrate knowledge of PSMMC’s policy on Patients Rights and Responsibilities and respects these rights and responsibilities in carrying-out daily activities.
- Actively support the regulatory requirements of Joint Commission standards for the laboratory and the hospital.
- Demonstrate leadership by performing his/her work in a manner that meets or exceeds the level of care and service that PSMMC promotes to the communities we serve.
- Participate in hospital and department specific practices to maintain a clean, safe and comfortable environment for patients and staff.
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of data and information used in performance of his/her daily duties conforming to hospital policy, laws and regulations as appropriate.
- Follow established policies and procedures to identify and reduce the risks of acquiring or transmitting infection.
- Maintain positive working relationships and fosters a cooperative work environment.
- Communicate effectively with patients, physicians and staff in a professional manner.
- Provide clear, concise, pertinent reports/information.
- Notify appropriate personnel of problems related to specimen collection or testing.
- Recognize and report signs/symptom of abuse and neglect for all ages of patients served.
- Utilize a collaborative interdisciplinary approach to insure that specimen collection is completed at the appropriate time to meet clinical needs.
- Advise and aid in collection and processing of appropriate specimens.
- Ensure accuracy of testing before results are released.
- Monitor and evaluate the quality of laboratory services by reviewing the shift exception report.
- Adhere to NPSG standards using two patient identifiers when providing laboratory services. Labels blood and other specimens in the presence of the patient. Correctly completes blood bank ID band per laboratory procedure.
- Respond to the needs of the patient as appropriate.
- Ensure that any specimen that arrives in the laboratory is processed in a timely manner, per lab policy.
- Provide information on testing procedures/ specimen collection as needed.
- Provide appropriate clinical information to other health care professionals for continuing care based on the patient’s needs as requested.
- Adhere to safety precautions including hazardous wastes and proper sharps disposal.
- Understand and comply with department Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Communicate all issues and concerns to the appropriate individual or department.
- Accurately report clinical information to support the diagnosis and/or treatment of the patient.
- Use computer accurately to enter patient information, order and report tests.
- Call appropriate person with critical or alert values per laboratory policy.
- Serve as a clinical resource for physicians and other health care providers.
- Perform quality control, proficiency tests, instrument maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting when appropriate.
- JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS.
- Laboratory Compliance Officer (SLCC) – 25%.
- Attend the scheduled SLCC meeting (online and in-person).
- Perform all checklist audits and submits quarterly as scheduled.
- Perform necessary action plan for unacceptable audit results.
- Provide CPT code changes to CDM at end of each calendar year.
- Point of Care Coordinator – 25%.
- Exercise oversight of POC testing at PSMMC and PMG-SER.
- Provide technical and advisory expertise to POCT sites to meet testing needs.
- Review quality control data, patient results, and critical values for policy/procedure adherence.
- Organize required POCT training and competency.
- Maintain records, to include qc, calibrations, linearity, accuracy, precision, maintenance and method comparisons.
- Lead departments through the POC process from the original request to implementation and continuous monitoring.
- Evaluate for placement of new point of care testing sites.
- Manage middleware for user access, certification, troubleshooting, results and blocked users.
- Act as a liaison between POCT sites and the laboratory.
- Establish, revise and monitor policies and procedures for the POCT program with the Medical Director.
- Manage Proficiency Testing performance and results; investigates all unsuccessful PT.
- Assist with the inventory control of all POCT materials/supplies.
- Communicate and/or educate testing personnel whenever corrective action need attention.
- Participate in analysis of clinical pathways when indicated.
- Update Laboratory Director regularly on all POC activity.
- Coordinate with the technical areas in the laboratory for access to instrumentation, samples or other resources.
- Research and evaluate outside services and/or equipment.
- Bench Tech – 50%.
- Demonstrate a concern for efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Keep leadership apprised of problems, workflow and other relevant issues.
- Stock and cleans laboratory.
- Willing to adapt personal work schedule to department needs.
- Make necessary adjustments to department schedule to cover absences of assigned staff.
- Assist in assignment of duties and oversees work schedules.
- Document annual competencies as a Med Tech.
- Verify that all work is completed in a timely manner.
- Assist with tracking inventory and order supplies.
- Review and sign technical procedure and policy manuals annually.
- Attend at least 50% of department staff meetings.
- HUMAN RESOURCES:
- Employee completes all tasks and duties accurately and timely within assigned shift. Demonstrates initiative to perform.
- job duties autonomously.
- Attend mandatory and other education offerings per department and hospital requirements.
- Support laboratory quality assurance initiatives that are being monitored.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in chemical, physical or biologic science, or medical technology from accredited institution.
- ASCP (MT or MLS) or equivalent certificate.
- Within 30 days of hire: State of Washington Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist certification.
- Two (2) years Lab experience
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- BLS-Healthcare provider (AHA accredited).
- Experience with Laboratory Information Systems.
- Formal laboratory technology training.
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington is a full service hospital with some of the best technology, expertise, specialists and primary care physicians in the region. We have been named the 100 top hospitals in the United States by two separate, independent research companies, Solucient and Cleverly Associates. Walla Walla is located in the southeastern region of Washington state and offers a sunny, mild climate, the benefits of living in a historic college town, outdoor activities and excellent public & private schools at all levels.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Lab Technologist
Location: Washington-Walla Walla
Req ID: 302111