We are looking for a Sterile Processing Technician for the Sterilization Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Evenings
Under general supervision processes surgical instrumentation and supplies throughout the sterilization process using the appropriate personal protective equipment according to procedure. Maintains instruments in a clean, working condition, and stores according to instrument directory. Performs and interprets data from daily sterilizer biological monitoring, instrument sterilization and all associated documentation. Assist in training and orientation of new staff. Is proficient in required competencies.
- Cleans and processes contaminated instruments and equipment according to procedure and inspects all for cleanliness and function. Separates non-functioning instruments and equipment and communicates and forwards to designated personnel for repair. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Assembles instrument trays according to established count sheet. Replaces missing items, uses proper packaging and wrapping technique and labels tray with correct name, dates, signature, and any missing items. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Maintains established quality assurance program standard by performing load sterilization tests, interpreting data and graphs, record and verify correct operation of sterilizers. Notifies SPD Supervisor and/or Clinical Manager immediately of results that are not within parameters of established guidelines. Reviews work of Tech I to assure all parameters are met in sterilization procedure. Ensure all items are processed and packaged according to established quality assurance and department operating procedure by continually reviewing processed work and make necessary corrections. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Performs daily biological tests on all sterilizers and maintains documentation of results according to established guidelines. Notifies SPD Supervisor and/or Clinical Manager immediately of results that are not within parameters of established guidelines and takes appropriate actions to correct problem. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Returns sterilized operating room instrumentation to sterile instrument room, as designated by the instrument directory, and checks for maintenance of package integrity. Returns sterilized instrumentation (excluding operating room) to Central Supply for distribution. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Continuously checks the OR schedules and prioritizes items to be processed and sterilized according to scheduled cases and emergency trays. Maintains transport carts with the doors or cover closed at all times.
- Accurately maintains records of loaned and returned instruments and repairs according to established procedures and communicates to the SPD Supervisor, Clinical Manager and/or Clinical Nurse Ills. Orders supplies used in daily operations according to established levels. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Consistently maintains clean work areas by clearing counters of instruments and wiping down equipment, i.e. sterilizers and washers. Replaces sharps containers when 2/3 full/needed.
- Assesses instrument room inventory at regular intervals and maintains established PAR levels. Submits orders for needed items through SPD Supervisor and/or Clinical Manager. Demonstrates the ability to perform behavioral competencies (generic and unit specific) as indicated on the Competency Inventory.
- Promptly receives physician and vendor owned instrumentation. Reviews trays with delivery personnel to ensure that all indicated components are present. Ensures all physician and vendor owned trays are clean and all components are in place following decontamination process and prior to placing in vendor pick-up area.
- Assist in the development, orientation, and training of Instrument Tech I to assure quality workmanship in decontamination and sterilization as directed by the SPD Supervisor, Clinical Manager, and/or Surgical Services Educator.
- Fills in as needed performing duties of the SPD Supervisor by ensuring daily assignment tasks are completed in a timely manner. Performs duties as directed by the SPD Supervisor, Clinical Manager, and/or designee.
- High-Level Disinfection:
- Decontaminates and high level disinfects all fiber-optic endoscopes, video endoscopes, Endocavity probes, TEE probes, and all other equipment requiring high-level disinfection in accordance with departmental policy and procedure, CDC, APIC, and AAMI recommendations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of structure and function of all fiber-optic endoscopes, video endoscopes, Endocavity probes, TEE probes, and all other equipment requiring high-level disinfection.
- Troubleshoots all equipment before processing, corrects minor equipment problems, and reports potential need for repair or replacement to supervisor.
- Correctly documents reprocessing of all fiber-optic endoscopes, video endoscopes, Endocavity probes, TEE probes, and all other equipment requiring high-level disinfection in accordance with departmental policy and procedures.
- Validates clinical competencies, participates in peer review, and provides constructive feedback to assist in the professional growth of peers.
- Assist in the development, orientation, and training of high-level disinfection Tech I to assure quality workmanship in decontamination and reprocessing as directed by the High-level Disinfection Supervisor.
- Ensures that all equipment, supplies, and area in endoscopy are clean, organized and dust free.
- Maintains adequate levels of supplies in the center.
- Actively participates in all training related to high-level disinfection and prepares effectively for achieving certification.
- Assist in the auditing of all practices within the high-level disinfection department and all other outlaying departments that assist in the process of HLD/pre-cleaning.
- Advanced knowledge of asepsis and universal precautions principles and practice.
- Advanced knowledge of proper techniques of decontamination, preparation/packaging, sterilization, storage, and dispensing of surgical instrumentation.
- Knowledge and practice of environmental safety and body mechanics.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with various departments and personnel. Ability to obtain and exchange information in order to promote effective sterile processing.
- Ability to prioritize/organize workload in high volume time periods and work quickly.
- Ability to work with others in a flexible, cooperative manner.
- Ability to lift and/or push/pull supplies and equipment of approximately 75 pounds (+).
- Ability to lift and/or assist with positioning pediatric and adult patients.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend medical terminology.
- Frequent walking and bending.
- Knowledge of proper concentration/potential hazards of chemicals used for cleaning.
- Ability to perform basic computer data entry and retrieve information regarding surgical equipment.
- Able to recognize surgical instruments and identify by name.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific competency inventory.
- High-Level Disinfection:
- Knowledge of JCAHO, DHS, AAMI, AORN standard rules and guidelines related to decontamination, processing, high-level disinfection of instruments/equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills.
- Computer literate.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: H.S. Diploma or GED
- Sterile processing experience in an acute care setting.
Licenses/Certifications: CRCST Certification (Certified Registered Central Service Technician), or CSPDT Certification (Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician), or CFER Certification (Certified in Flexible Endoscope Reprocessor), or CER Certification (Certified Endoscope Reprocessing).
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training - High-Level Disinfection: Training in decontamination, processing, sterilization, quality control Flexible scope reprocessing.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Sterile Processing Techs (Central Services Techs)
Req ID: R334487