Providence is calling a Postdoctoral Fellow Research - Medical Research (1.0 FTE, Days) to Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland, OR.
Apply today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
A Post-Doctoral Research Fellow position is available in the “Anti-Cancer Immune Response” Lab at the Earle A. Chiles Research Institute (EACRI) in Portland, Oregon USA. Our laboratory recently identified a subset of CD8 T cells enriched in tumor-reactive cells in human solid tumors. We are now focusing on understanding the biology of those cells in the tumor to improve current therapy and identify new potential targets. The selected candidate will work on defining the cellular interactions between tumor-reactive T cells and other cells present in the tumor microenvironment and the impact of those interactions on the anticancer response. This project will involve phenotyping tumor samples by flow cytometry, cell culture of T cells isolated from patient’s tumors and multiplex immunohistochemistry. This project will be done in collaboration with clinicians and the bioinformatics team at the institute.
Applicants must have a PhD in immunology or related field. Responsibilities of the position include designing and executing experiments, data analysis, presentation of results, preparation of manuscripts, and training and education. A strong working knowledge of human immunology and experience in T cell biology are major assets. Other assets include experience with immunological techniques such as multicolor flow cytometry, ELISA, ELISPOT assay, human primary T-cell culture, multiplex immunohistochemistry. Some knowledge in large dataset analysis such as RNAseq, ATACseq, TCRseq is desired but not required.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and or implement changes for scientific plans and protocols to accomplish specific scientific objectives
- Independently perform, document and report research results of complex biomedical experiments in support of research activities or specialized scientific laboratory
- Independently develop methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for solving problems
- Summarize and interpret data; write manuscripts and present findings in a form suitable for publication or other special reports; present research findings to local and national groups
- Prepare and conduct in vivo and in vitro experiments as necessary
- Stay current with the literature in ongoing and proposed research projects in the field of specialty
- Remain cognizant of potentially hazardous chemical, biological, or radiological materials; uses personal protective equipment; and adheres to strict safety protocols
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Ph.D. in a discipline pertinent to biomedical research
- Experience in presenting original research in oral and written format is essential, as is proven success in writing and publishing original research
- Demonstrate a track record of progressive biomedical research that indicates a growing level of research independence
- Expert in flow cytometry, primary cell isolation and culture, and molecular biology
- Perform with minimal supervision in a team-like atmosphere
- Good problem-solving skills and be innovative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including computer skills
- Highly organized
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Ph.D. in Immunology -OR- Experience in the field of immunology
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Research
Req ID: 300168