We are looking for a Pharmacy Technician for the Pharmacy - MV Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Primarily Mission Viejo, CA (May require floating to Laguna Beach, CA as needed)
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist and following departmental procedures, the Pharmacy Technician Level 1 or Pharmacy Intern Level 1 assists in providing service to customers coming to the Pharmacy, answering telephones, assembling floor stock medications, refilling Pyxis machines, transportation of medications to and from nursing floors and departments, pre-packing and labeling medications. Projects an image of professionalism in communication and conduct. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental and standard operating procedures. Is proficient in required competencies.
- Accurately pulls the correct medication, dose, and dosage form according to the Pyxis fill report and re-stock the Pyxis Machines in a timely manner. Accurately refill and prepare drug kits using RFID system. Interprets labels processed by the pharmacist and is able to collect proper medications and prepare the necessary doses to be dispensed in a timely manner. Accurately chooses drug, dose, dosage form, and quantity for the appropriate age group and prepares the order for issue to the patient. Accurately calculates the proper amount of drug necessary to provide the prescribed dose and does so in a neat manner.
- Delivers medication and other related items in a timely manner and in accordance with established procedures to ensure the right drug or item is delivered to the right patient and departments. Recognizes and prioritizes stat medications. Completes hourly rounds. Picks up discontinued and transferred meds. Credits and restocks appropriately.
- Maintains required inventories of drugs, medical supplies and other medication related items to ensure these items are readily available. Orders and replaces needed items according to established procedures. All inventories are maintained with proper dating and are properly stored according to established inventory control procedures. Completes nursing unit inspections thoroughly, accurately, and on time.
- Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly fashion. Performs all equipment cleaning in accordance with established procedures and in a timely manner.
- Provides courteous and timely response to all pharmacy staff, physicians, nurses, and other health care providers to ensure appropriate action is taken. Communicates effectively and professionally at all times. Maintains a cooperative working relationship with all members of the pharmacy staff. Answers telephones, receiving and relaying messages in a professional and timely manner and with precision and clarity. Is willing to help others to fill department needs. Reports any incomplete assignments to ensure continuity of medication distribution and preparation. Demonstrates professional judgment and requests assistance from the pharmacist when appropriate.
- Identifies and responds appropriately to problems. Determines when to obtain assistance and seeks clarification if uncertainty exists. Is thorough on resolving issues and complaints. Follows department policies and procedures. Actively participates in the department quality improvement program.
- Assist in the investigation of reported missing medications.
- Thoroughly maintains accurate and timely pharmacy records and billing documents in accordance with established procedures. This includes ADT information, controlled substances records, Pyxis documents, and floor stock charges. Consistently completes logs as assigned.
- Ability to read, write and perform general mathematics in order to review patient profiles, understand and follow written and verbal instructions in order to prepare medications.
- Good verbal and written communications skills to communicate effectively with pharmacy personnel, patients, nursing and medical staff, and other ancillary departments.
- Organizational skills necessary to keep work pace while maintaining a neat and clean area.
- A high degree on interpersonal relation skills to interface with pharmacy personnel and other Medical Center staff.
- Data entry skills.
- Able to work variable shifts and overtime.
- Able to rotate to all pharmacy areas.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and medical terminology, weights, measures, and pharmacy math.
- Able to handle chemotherapeutic agents.
- Knowledge of generic/trade drug names.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the Pharmacy Competency inventory.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Experience: 6 months Pharmacy Tech experience.
Licenses/Certifications: Current California license as a registered pharmacy technician.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training - Training in sterile IV preparation and aseptic technique or experience in sterile IV preparation and aseptic technique.
- 1 year related work experience
- Data entry experience
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Pharmacy Technician
Req ID: R334932