We are looking for a Patient Health Advocate for the Care Connect Department at Heritage Healthcare.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Working with the Case Manager, the Patient Health Advocate is a member of the Care Management team the Health Advocate assists with the daily management of a patient population by collecting detailed information regarding the patient, monitoring care, scheduling preventative and follow-up visits, and assisting the patient with goal setting and the management of their care.
- Assists in patient care management by having an assigned patient population and/or assists the Provider and Care Manager in patient care management. Actively participates in the planning, preparation and data collection on managed patients. Anticipates the needs of assigned patient population.
- Promotes successful program implementation and quality cost-effective outcomes within the scope of responsibility. Maintains clinical competency requirements within scope of practice. Demonstrates initiative for self-improvement and completes required competencies.
- Participates as a team member and communicates effectively with the health care team. Participates in staff meetings and other interdisciplinary meetings.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. Communicates with patient/family in a clear, concise and understandable manner. Obtains confirmation that information given to patient/family was understood.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of ICD-9 coding.
- Manages patient cases under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Schedules appointments (new and return) and ancillary tests/surgeries. Is responsible for new patient coordination.
- Documents/reports patient’s concerns and symptoms, reactions, and changes (appropriate to age) to licensed clinic personnel.
- Performs clinical documentation of all appropriate notes, in the patient’s medical record, and/or care management system both timely and accurately under the direction of the Care Management team, ensures that patient receives results of laboratory and diagnostic tests, special test instructions, and other information in a timely manner.
- Coordinates communication and transactions between patient, ancillary services, consultants, and physicians. Coordinates authorization required by insurance.
- Creates the necessary care management reports timely and accurately.
- Works with Utilization Management and insurance companies, when needed, to assist patient.
- Basic computer skills in a Windows operating environment including, Microsoft Word and ability to learn various new computer systems and software.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health/safety precautions applicable for work in a clinic setting. Knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area.
- Ability to speak and write effectively at a level appropriate for the job.
- Ability to solve problems and identify solutions.
- High-level customer service skills in interactions with all patients, families, and staff, including high volume and stressful situations.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as a contributing member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to travel between Ministry Locations.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish communication.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Coursework/Training - Completed coursework in Medical Terminology or equivalent education/experience
- Coursework/Training - Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program
Experience: 5 years related work experience in an acute care or ambulatory care facility, or medical group practice.
- Current BLS Certification
- Valid California driver’s license.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- Associate's Degree
- Coursework/Training - Graduate from and accredited LVN Program
- Managed care experience.
- Allscripts Enterprise or IDX experience.
- MA certificate
- Current LVN license in State of California.
Mission Heritage Medical Group is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, Mission Heritage Medical Group has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values. Mission Heritage Medical Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Heritage Medical Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare
Category: Medical Assistant
Req ID: R333729