We are looking for a Patient Care Technician II for the Sitter Pool at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Days
The PCT ll is a dual role Patient Care Tech/Transporter that can demonstrate the competency to function in either role independently. Under general supervision by the RN, the dual role Patient Care Tech is responsible for providing basic nursing care for in-patients and out-patients as needed, within their specified area. The Patient Care Tech role is responsible for collecting and reporting information to the supervising RN and completion of all patient care related documentation. The Patient Transporter role is responsible for working with the team transporting pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients, to and from various areas of the hospital to include patient rooms, diagnostics areas, surgery and admitting. Maintains communication via electronic patient tracking system, to receive transport and other requests. The Patient Transport role is also able to document transport activities and maintain cleanliness and order of various transportation related equipment such as gurneys and wheelchairs. This person consistently demonstrates behaviors that model the SJHS core values and the Hospital's mission statement.
- PATIENT CARE TECH:
- Assisted Nursing Care: Assists with activities of daily living (ADLs), hygiene, feeding, toileting and other skills related to admission, discharge, pre- and post-op care, post mortem care, skin care and patient safety. Assists with patient transfer and ambulation as requested.
- Technical: Performs 12-lead EKG according to established policies and procedures, accurately obtains patient’s vital signs. Applies and removes sequential and/or TED hose as requested by RN. Disconnects and reconnects NG and O2 tubing appropriately. Maintains aseptic technique. Empties fluid collection devices and ensures safe and accurate collection and handling of specimens. Supports the RN in obtaining accurate weights. Application and removal of restraints. Assists with basic orthopedic devices as directed by the RN. Performs additional technical duties appropriate to area of practice under the direction of the RN.
- Documentation: Accurately and in a timely manner documents in the EMR the patients’ vital signs, oximetry readings, I & O’s, percentage of food eaten, turning/positioning, HS care, oral care/personal need care and other data requiring documentation.
- Immediately notifies RN of any abnormal/unusual findings of patient conditions, problems or data.
- Prepares and maintains patient care area/rooms and ensures they are clean and orderly. Removes and stores extra equipment in a timely manner. Enters work orders for needed equipment repairs and ensures follow up. Manages patient supplies in a fiscally responsible manner. Ensures storage rooms are neat and orderly and meet regulatory environmental standards.
- Information management: Able to access Hospital e-mail, Education Learning Modules Care Net, work orders. Evidence of basic order entry skills. Demonstrates knowledge of unit goals and action plans.
- Maintains safe environment by following JCAHO safety goals. Performs proactive rounding as directed and adheres to all hospital and departmental policies, procedures and regulatory requirements. Responds promptly to all patient call lights and alarms with effective follow through and participates in all fall interventions and unit specific safety practices and goals.
- Customer Service: Answers phone calls, greets and directs all patients and visitors in a timely, friendly and courteous manner. Receives positive feedback from co-workers and patients. Supports unit goals to improve the patient experience.
- Other: Ensures patient safety for patients at risk for self-harm, injury, or who have court holds through constant observation and appropriate use of behavioral competencies.
- TELEMETRY TECH:
- Transports patients to and from various areas of the hospital to include patient rooms, diagnostics areas, surgery, and admitting. Transfers patients from bed, chair, or gurney to appropriate mode of transportation and back using correct transfer techniques and body mechanics. Assists clinical staff with preparation of the patient prior to and post transport ie. Gathers patients’ personal belongings, puts bed-side table within reach, adjusts bed position, etc.
- Receives and acknowledges transport and other requests from the electronic patient tracking system and responds to requests quickly using established communication system, including emergent needs, STST calls, procedures, and 10 codes. Uses electronic patient tracking system to communicate delays.
- Correctly identifies patients by matching name and medical record number. Completes all required documentation for the transport in a timely manner including, but not limited to pre-operative chart packets, transport logs, and other required documents.
- Returns CTD equipment to proper location when finished with a transport. Sanitizes equipment according to established schedule. Maintains possession and cleanliness of issued radio equipment. Reports any malfunctions of equipment to supervisor.
- Assists personnel in other job functions as requested.
- Good verbal and written communication skills for regular contact with employees, patients and patient’s families; requires tact.
- Positive interpersonal skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Visual capabilities to observe patients and monitors.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology/anatomy.
- Ability to work with others in a flexible, cooperative manner.
- Moderate mental application and concentration to handle varying procedures and interruptions.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific competency inventory.
- Ability to pay attention and concentrate closely the majority (up to 85%) of time.
- Ability to sit for up to 85% of time and occasionally walk throughout department/hospital.
- Computer skills on MS Windows based PC system.
- Annual Employee Update - All staff complete an annual hospital and unit update which includes a telemetry skills validation and exam.
- Completed Basic Dysrhythmia Recognition Class and pass the final exam with 80% or greater.
- Entry Dysrhythmia Exam with a passing score of 80% or greater.
- Annual Dysrhythmia Competency testing with 80% or greater.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Coursework/Training - Completion of a CNA program, or completion of first semester nursing program, or EMT program completion.
Experience: Experience with basic data entry.
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare provider BLS certification.
- Hires after 10/31/16: Current CNA\LVN license, or completion of first semester nursing program, or current NREMT (National Registry Emergency Registration) certification, or current CA EMT license.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training - Satisfactory completion of medical terminology course.
Experience: 1 year of acute patient care experience, or 6 months experience in a direct patient care environment providing clerical or patient support related to provider patient documentation or charting.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Other Healthcare Support
Req ID: R335838