Where you work matters! Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Patient Services Coordinator II (1.0 FTE, Days) to work in Thoracic Surgery Clinic at Swedish First Hill in Seattle, WA.
The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) II functions as an integral team member of the Pre Admit team providing support and clinical coordination of multiple patient care services. The PSC II exercises independence in the planning and accomplishment of a wide spectrum of clerical and patient care duties.
In this position you will:
- Coordinates PAV schedule to determine availability for appointments.
- Uses SMC computer systems efficiently and effectively. Able to learn new computer applications as they evolve.
- Coordinates with other departments involved in patient appointments and care.
- Contacts patients regarding appointments or changes in appointments, as needed.
- Acts as a liaison between various departments for coordination of patient care in the PAV area of the Surgery and Procedures Admissions Unit.
- May need to help acquire pertinent records (H&P’s, consents) to submit prior to scheduled procedure/surgery.
- Answers routine and moderately complex questions from other departments, patients and clinician’s offices, researches and follows up with responses.
- Maintains inventory of patient information supplies. Assures maintenance of office equipment.
- Operates basic office equipment (PC, printer, fax) and troubleshoots equipment problems.
- Answers multiple phone lines and triages calls to the appropriate person demonstrating, a) decision making ability regarding appropriate routing of calls b) ability to maintain a helpful and responsive demeanor. Takes messages when necessary and relays to the appropriate staff member.
- Uses paging systems effectively: initiates pages for staff and notifies appropriate staff when page/call is returned.
- Accurately communicates and documents pertinent patient information assuring safe patient care outcomes to appropriate clinical staff.
- Identifies special needs of patients and communicates appropriately to staff.
- Acts as a patient advocate in appropriate clinic functions.
- Assists in problem solving around patient flow issues (e.g. room or MD conflicts) which also includes the clinical information system.
- Functions as an essential member of the PAV and SPAU teams.
- Accepts responsibility for all aspects of the position. Establishes and adjusts priorities based on patient acuity and changing clinical situations.
- Provides back-up to other clinic support staff if necessary or if requested.
- Organizes work to perform multiple functions concurrently, demonstrating ability to respond appropriately to requests from staff, patients, physicians, etc.
- Participates in other duties as requested by the leadership of the Surgery and Procedure Admissions Unit, remaining flexible at all times.
Qualifications - External
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Graduate of certified medical assisting program
- Washington State Medical Assistant Certified or Medical Assistant Interim certification
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required at time of hire from American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network (MTN)
- 1 year Medical assistant experience in a healthcare setting required (i.e. physician’s office, scheduler, etc.)
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Associate Degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school with emphasis in Health Care
- Experienced in obtaining insurance verifications, referrals and authorizations
- Experience with Epic
About the First Hill Campus
The 697-bed tertiary-care center on the Swedish/First Hill campus is the flagship of the Swedish health-care system. Swedish/First Hill has one of the most active and advanced birthing programs in Washington state and houses a Level III neonatal intensive-care unit. More surgeries are performed each year at Swedish/First Hill than at any other facility in the region; volumes include more total joint replacements than any other medical center in the state.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Work Locations: First Hill Madison Bldg (WA177) 1101 Madison Seattle, 98104
Req ID: 298750