Providence is calling a Medical Assistant - Express Care (0.0 FTE, Days) to support our Express Care locations across Portland, OR. This is an On-Call role that will typically fill in for pre-arranged leave and on occasion support with last minute needs. Express Care schedules consist of 12 hour shifts covering 7am-7:30pm or 8am-8:30pm.
We are seeking a Medical Assistant that will work closely with a team of staff including physicians and advanced level providers to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care. MA duties include assisting with exams and procedures, administering medications, and performing tests under the supervision of a licensed medical provider. The MA is also responsible for front desk, patient registration, insurance billing and payment collection/cashiering in addition to their patient care responsibilties. Actively supports and incorporates the mission and core values into daily activities. Treats all others with respect and demonstrates excellence, justice and compassion in daily work and relationships with others. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system. Those who complete this process will be invited to self schedule an interview with the hiring team
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Be responsible for providing quality clinical care to patient
- Identify daily operational and clinical issues to ensure clinic’s operational readiness
- Escalate to management for issue resolution as needed
- Maintain confidentiality of records, patient, employee and medical center information at all times, secured from general public access
- Schedule patients’ appointments
- Monitor and manage the appointment schedules daily
- Provide general information to patients including but not limited to financial policies, registration requirements, insurances, etc.
- Coordinate referral preparation, approval and distribution
- Organize, stock and maintain an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, procedure rooms and patient care areas
- Oversee that patient waiting areas are clean and well-maintained
- Greet and check-in the patient
- Verify patient’s information and co-pay
- Research patient information within the systems provided
- Collect and verify accurate and complete demographic information from patient or family member
- Perform patient intake screening and/or makes arrangements for additional diagnostic testing or referral for appropriate provider and set an appointment
- Identify urgent or emergent situations and notifies the provider
- Provide appropriate care, including patient mobility assistance, based on the various conditions and needs of the broad diversity of patients
- Capture patient information including but not limited to height, weight, drug allergies, current medications and the presenting problem
- Document patient information collected, care given, treatments provided and related charges
- Process all clerical records for clinic patients including cashiering, as well as completion of encounter forms and patient charts
- Assist physicians/providers during examinations and procedures, anticipating needs
- Instruct patients on the collection of samples and other tests
- Conduct or assist with diagnostic tests and procedures including but not limited to capturing vitals, drawing blood and obtaining samples
- Under MA certification authorization and by Provider order, administers medications – including oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular or intradermal medication / inoculations
- Labels, transports and stores hazardous waste
- Update established patient files as necessary
- Transcribe chart notes in real time from providers
- Direct flow of patients and calls to the appropriate care team.
- Refer the patient to the billing department as needed
- Assist with patient phone messages/tasks and documents
- Conduct callbacks, when guided
- Manage patient flow ensuring enough time for patient and family education
- Facilitate communication between patients, providers, clinic staff, internal and external customers to support patient care
- Active involvement in improvement of work processes
- Participate in and facilitates change processes
- Complete annual mandatory education review and competency program
- Attend and actively participates in mandatory clinical/business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees
- Perform opening and closing duties for the clinic
- Perform other duties as assigned to your role
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Graduation from Certified MA Program
- Experience providing a high level of customer service in a fast paced environment, including handling confidential data with discretion
- National Certification / Registration as a Medical Assistant upon hire
- Current BLS - Healthcare Provider (must be AHA accredited) upon hire
- Strong Verbal Communication and listening skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the trends and changes taking place in healthcare
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Working knowledge of desktop software applications (e.g., MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Internet, Email)
- Knowledge of the use of health information technology to improve care (eg: electronic medical records, disease registries, websites, IVR)
Preferred qualifications for this position includes:
- Two (2) years of clinical experience working as a Medical Assistant .
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) experience
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Knowledge of insurance and insurance industry practices
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Req ID: 300238