Apply today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with additional questions from our MODERN HIRE screening and interview system.
Providence is calling a Medical Assistant NC - Retail (Full time, Day shift) to Express Care MSO in Ladera Ranch, CA.
The schedule for this position is Mon-Sun 6:45am – 7:15pm, with every other weekend required. This position works a 12 hour shift with a 2 week rotating schedule.
Please upload a current resume reflecting all relevant experience
We are seeking a Medical Assistant NC - Retail who will assist with all general medicine or specialized medical practice duties. The Medical Assistant works closely with a team of staff including physicians and advanced level providers to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care. MA duties include assisting with exams and procedures, administering medications, and performing tests under the supervision of a licensed medical provider. The MA is also responsible for front desk, patient registration, insurance billing and payment collection/cashiering in addition to their patient care responsibilities. Actively supports and incorporates the mission and core values into daily activities. Treats all others with respect and demonstrates excellence, justice and compassion in daily work and relationships with others.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing quality clinical care to patient.
- Identify daily operational and clinical issues to ensure clinic’s operational readiness.
- Escalate to management for issue resolution as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of records, patient, employee and medical center information at all times, secured from general public access.
- Schedule patients’ appointments.
- Monitor and manages the appointment schedules daily.
- Provide general information to patients including but not limited to financial policies, registration requirements, insurances, etc.
- Coordinate referral preparation, approval and distribution.
- Organize, stock and maintain an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, procedure rooms and patient care areas.
- Oversee that patient waiting areas are clean and well-maintained.
- Greet and check-in the patient.
- Verify patient’s information and co-pay.
- Research patient information within the systems provided.
- Collect and verifies accurate and complete demographic information from patient or family member.
- Perform patient intake screening and/or makes arrangements for additional diagnostic testing or referral for appropriate provider and set an appointment.
- Identify urgent or emergent situations and notifies the provider.
- Provide appropriate care, including patient mobility assistance, based on the various conditions and needs of the broad diversity of patients.
- Capture patient information including but not limited to height, weight, drug allergies, current medications and the presenting problem.
- Document patient information collected, care given, treatments provided and related charges.
- Process all clerical records for clinic patients including cashiering, as well as completion of encounter forms and patient charts.
- Assist physicians/providers during examinations and procedures, anticipating needs.
- Instruct patients on the collection of samples and other tests.
- Conduct or assist with diagnostic tests and procedures including but not limited to capturing vitals, drawing blood and obtaining samples.
- Under MA training and scope of practice and by Provider order, administers medications – including oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular or intradermal medication/inoculations.
- Label, transport and store hazardous waste.
- Update established patient files as necessary.
- Transcribe chart notes in real time from providers.
- Direct flow of patients and calls to the appropriate care team.
- Refer the patient to the billing department as needed.
- Assist with patient phone messages/tasks and documents. Conducts callbacks, when guided.
- Manage patient flow ensuring enough time for patient and family education.
- Facilitate communication between patients, providers, clinic staff, internal and external customers to support patient care.
- Active involvement in improvement of work processes.
- Participate in and facilitates change processes.
- Complete annual mandatory education review and competency program.
- Attend and actively participates in mandatory clinical/business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees.
- Perform opening and closing duties for the clinic.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from the following authorized governing bodies: American Heart Association (AHA) - (BLS Provider), American Red Cross (ARC) - (BLS for Health Care Provider), or Military Training Network (MTN) – (Healthcare Provider).
- Ability to pass proficiency testing following Epic EMR training.
- Experience providing a high level of customer service in a fast paced healthcare environment, including handling confidential data with discretion.
- Basic Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Windows.
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the trends and changes taking place in health care.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills.
- Working knowledge of desktop software applications (e.g., MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Internet, Email).
- Knowledge of the use of health information technology to improve care (e.g., electronic medical records, disease registries, websites, IVR).
- Ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally, as well as to interact in a professional manner with colleagues, patients, families, and visitors.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills; able to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Able to work well with all members of the health care team and in a team environment.
- Ability to treat people with respect under all circumstances, instill trust in others while upholding the values of the organization.
- Flexible and willing to take on increasing responsibility.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with peers, physicians and other staff members.
- Capable of managing highly confidential information.
- Demonstrated PC skills, i.e., proficient with MS Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Basic knowledge of medications and their use, to include brand and generic names.
- Basic knowledge of vaccines, medications, waste disposal and sterile techniques.
- Flexibility is a must to meet the changing needs of the patients and the various clinics.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks under pressure.
- Solid attendance and punctuality.
- Compassionate mannerisms and demeanor.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Graduation from Certified MA Program.
- Six (6) months recent experience working as a Medical Assistant.
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) experience.
- Knowledge of insurance and insurance industry practices.
- Knowledge of insurance and insurance industry practices.
About the hospital you will serve.
Express Care is your faster way to well! Express Care Clinics offer same-day appointments and extended hours seven days a week. We're here when you need care for the stuff you just can't treat at home. In addition, Express Care Virtual offers same-day, on-demand, video visits with trusted health care providers. Come see us when you want fast care from folks who know health.Providence Health & Services is further developing its physician integration strategy. As part of this growth, Providence Saint John’s Medical Foundation came into flourishing. Saint John’s Medical Foundation is an integrated, not-for-profit network of medical clinics and affiliated services, servicing the greater Santa Monica and Los Angeles area. The Foundation is expected to continue to grow in the next several years, bringing with it facilities, staff and physician growth to support that objective.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Location: California-Ladera Ranch
Req ID: 292925