We are looking for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist for the Clinical Laboratory Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Location: Eureka, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Laboratory Services, the Medical Technologist is responsible for the performance of routine and specialized tests carried out in the Clinical and/or Microbiology Laboratory(ies). Solves technical problems requiring a complex degree of judgment with minimum supervision. Staff members who treat patients of a specific age group must be aware of the JCAHO requirements specific to that population. The specific information skills related to the position in this job description will be related to the following age group populations: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
- Specimen Collection:
- Collects specimens according to established procedures and policies. Is competent in specimen collection for all age groups, including infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Volume of blood taken and size of needle used adjusted based on age of client.
- Evaluates requests for testing accurately. Identifies patient correctly 100% of the time.
- Information Services: Inputs patient information into the Laboratory Information System and other information systems accurately.
- Quality Control:
- Performs quality control per regulations and established procedures and policies and documents all quality control data. Quality control data is reviewed and patient results are not released when an out of control situation remains unresolved.
- Reviews quality control data and submits monthly reports as required.
- Performs required preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment and documents as appropriate. Is proficient in troubleshooting laboratory equipment.
- Assures continued service during downtime by exploring local and regional resources where appropriate.
- Proficiency Testing: Proficiency survey check samples are analyzed as they are received and accurately reported by the due date. In the event of a failure, corrective action is taken to prevent a similar failure in the future.
- Testing is performed accurately and according to established procedures and policies.
- Testing is done according to established timeframes, whether routine or stat.
- Abnormal results are consistently verified.
- Evaluates laboratory results based on age-specific criteria.
- Providers are notified of results that exceed critical limits.
- Maintains records according to regulatory and policy requirements.
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
- Resource Utilization: Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
- Safety: Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
- Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
- Quality Improvement Program: Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements and facilitates changes.
- Ability to read and interpret complex documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write complex reports and correspondence.
- Ability to perform complex, college-level calculations.
- Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving many concrete variables in standardized situations
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or a related science.
Licenses/Certifications: Current Clinical Laboratory Scientist License issued by the State of California.
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."
It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.
Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County.
Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.
To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Clinical Laboratory Scientist/ Microbiologist
Req ID: R332004