We are looking for a Clinical Dietitian with the Dietary/Nutritional Counseling Department at St. Mary Medical Center.
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: Part time - 40 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8 hour Days
Under general supervision and as part of a multidisciplinary care team, provides nutritional care for patients of all ages with complex nutritional needs. Responsibilities include assessment, treatment and provides medical nutrition therapy, documents findings and recommendations; plans and implements nutrition intervention. Provides direct supervision over the daily work assigned to the Registered Diet Technician.
- Conducts nutrition assessments for patients of all ages (preemie, newborn, infant, pre-school, school age, adolescent, adult, and geriatric) through patient/family interview to obtain diet histories, review of medical records, and collaboration with health care team to determine nutritional status and plan for appropriate interventions. Documents in medical record in a timely and accurate manner. Utilizes MNT/PN protocol and enteral nutrition protocol to provide timely, effective, and safe patient care; collaborates with Pharmacy regarding nutritional needs for patients on PN.
- Formulates and documents plan of nutritional care for nutritional interventions in a timely and accurate manner for patients of all ages (preemie, newborn, infant, preschool, school age, adolescent, adult, and geriatric). Updates and modifies care plans based on nutritional needs.
- Evaluates responses to diet therapy in patients of all ages (preemie, newborn, infant, preschool, school age, adolescent, adult, and geriatric) by interviewing patient/family and nurse; calculating nutrient intake; monitoring lab results, oral intake, and tolerance to prescribed intervention. Utilizes MNT/PN protocol and enteral nutrition protocol to provide timely, effective, and safe patient care.
- Provides diet counseling and food/drug/nutrient interaction education to patients/caregivers in a timely, thorough, and with a patient-oriented approach, recognizing and addressing the needs specific to the age of the patient. Documents all patient education on the nutrition teaching record.
- Act as a resource, provides direction and/or on-going training, and supervision to other Food and Nutrition Services staff. Provides additional training or reports inappropriate and/or inconsistent behaviors as appropriate. Performs periodic rounding on units assigned to promote improved patient services and/or customer satisfaction.
- Plan and conduct assigned quality improvement projects or data collection in order to identify and resolve problems. Actively participates on interdisciplinary teams for unit assigned to work.
- Acts as Preceptor to Dietetic Interns and accepts responsibility for coaching, teaching, and mentoring to help meet clinical competency requirements in order to complete the assigned rotation.
- Provides direct supervision to the daily work assigned to the Registered Diet Technicians. Complies with the CA Business and Professions Code Section 2585-2586.8 regarding the direct supervision of the Registered Diet Technician including: may not supervise more than two Registered Diet Technicians at one time; provides direct supervision of the Registered Diet Technician assisting in the implementation or monitoring of services such as providing nutritional and dietary counseling, but excludes the development of nutritional or dietary therapy or treatments or accept or transmit verbal orders.
- Good understanding and utilization of American Dietetic Association’s Scope of Practice and Standards of Professional Practice for Dietetics Professionals.
- Demonstrates ability to perform with a high level of independent judgment.
- Specialist/liaison in the field of nutrition.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively: CBORD and MEDITECH.
- Knowledge in JCAHO requirements and Title 22.
- Visual ability for observation of patients, reading, and writing.
- Knowledge of medical terminology for all age groups.
- Knowledge on computer based documentation.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education : Bachelor's Degree - Nutrition/Dietitian.
Experience : 1 year of Direct patient care in a hospital setting with some nutrition support experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Registered Dietitian
- Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- 2 years of Clinical dietetic experience in an acute care hospital with experience in nutrition support, pediatric specialists, and/or other specialties.
- Computer/electronic medical record experience-preferably MEDITECH.
- Electronic diet office computer experience-preferably CBORD.
- Nutrition care process documentation experience.
St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC) is an acute care hospital with 213 beds and over 1,750 employees making it one of the region's largest employers serving communities of the High Desert. The facility was constructed in 1956 and joined the St. Joseph Health System in 1992.This facility has the only Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert Accredited by California Children Services and has been granted approval as a Special Hospital with the California Children's Services Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was accredited as a primary Stroke Receiving Center in 2018, the only stroke-receiving center in the High Desert.The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this Hospital are Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and Vascular Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services, Respiratory Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services, Women & Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Company: St. Mary Medical Center
Category: Dieticians and Clinical Nutrition Specialists (Licensed)
Req ID: R323847