We are looking for a Radiation Therapist - National Union of Health Workers for the Radiation Oncology Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Location: Eureka, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 72 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8 hour, Days
Under the direction of the Department Manager and supervision of the Lead Radiation Therapist, the Radiation Therapist administers therapeutic radiation treatments and performs procedures to setup, plan, and verify accuracy of treatment delivery utilizing all modem radiotherapy techniques in accordance with department standards.
• Operates simulation equipment and documents procedure and setup accurately.
• Positions patient and fabricates immobilization devices to maximize setup reproducibility and ensure patient comfort.
• Contours structures on planning CT per physician instructions and under the supervision of a Certified Medical Dosimetrist or Medical Physicist.
• Exports treatment plan and imaging data from the treatment Planning system to the treatment delivery system.
• Performs simple dosimetry calculations in absence of the dosimetrist and Lead Radiation Therapist.
• Compares and informs Lead Radiation Therapist, Dosimetrist or Physicist of discrepancies between the dosimetry plans, written setup parameters, and the Radiation Oncologist's prescription prior to the initial treatment of each field.
• Fully reviews treatment chart parameters and informs Lead Radiation Therapist, Dosimetrist or Physicist of discrepancies prior to daily treatment.
• Performs treatment delivery timeouts per department protocol and delivers the prescribed dose per field in accordance with the approved dosimetry plan, immobilization devices, and beam modifiers.
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served- adolescent, adult and geriatric. Asses and interprets data about the patient's status in order to identify each patient's age-specific needs and provide the care needed by the adolescent, adult and geriatric patient group.
• Within the scope of a Radiation Therapist's training, reports specific changes or concerns about the patient's physical and mental status to the radiation oncology nurses and physicians.
• Maintains treatment charts and documentation accurately and legibly.
• Performs limited billing functions for simulation and daily treatment patients and confirms accuracy of charges prior to exporting.
• Resource Utilization:
◦ Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
◦ Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
◦ Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
◦ Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
◦ Schedules patients and procedures to minimize scheduling backups and delays while following scheduling guidelines as defined by the Department Manager.
• Quality Improvement Program:
◦ Performs warm up and quality assurance of linear accelerators and simulator and IMRT QA procedures following department guidelines.
◦ Updates equipment error log, advises lead therapist or physicist of needed maintenance or repairs, and emails error log when requested.
◦ Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements, and facilitates change.
- Computer skills at a user-level.
- Reads and interprets documents such as safety rules, regulatory documents, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Interprets a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Speaks and writes effectively. Writes routine reports and correspondence.
- Calculates figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, and volume with a high degree of accuracy. Applies concepts of basic algebra and statistics.
- Solves practical problems and deals with situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Concentrates on details in a busy and distracting environment.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Coursework/Training - Satisfactorily completed formal therapeutic radiologic technology training at an approved school.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Meet requirements for registry by the ARRT in Radiation Therapy.
- Certificate as a Certified Radiologic Technologist in Therapeutic Radiologic Technology from the State of California.
- Current CPR certification.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- Coursework/Training - Specialized training in dosimetric techniques and physics of treatment planning.
License and Certification :
- Certification by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists in Radiation Therapy.
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."
It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.
Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County.
Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.
To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Radiation Therapy
Req ID: R330418