Pharmacy Technician (Cancer Center)
Westwood Medical Pavilion - West
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Medication Reconciliation Technician will assist in conducting patient interviews, communicating and documenting patient medication changes or needs to stakeholders and in the patient's electronic medical record, and ensuring timely delivery of oral chemotherapy to patients. The med reconciliation technician will
• Identify and prioritize which patients need medication histories
• Conduct patient interviews and collect the following information: pharmacy, medication history, medication allergies and reactions, and adherence issues
• Verify any unclear medications with the patient’s family, pharmacy, outside facility, physician’s office or other resources as needed
• Collect fill histories for any scheduled medications via K-TRACS, M-TRACS or other resources
• Document information in the Prior to Admission Medications list and Pharmacy TOC Comments according to the Transitions of Care Standard of Practice
• Follow up with external specialty pharmacies for oral chemotherapy prescriptions required to be filled outside of KU Specialty Pharmacy
• Other related tasks as assigned
- Performs ALL duties defined by standard work or other guidelines communicated by leadership under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist
- Operates computer systems to accurately input medication orders and obtain necessary patient information.
- Assists in maintaining pharmacy inventory and record keeping in accordance with state and federal law. Reports medication errors on a continuous basis.
- Assures timely distribution of prescribed medications and stock items as needed.
- Utilizes effective listening and communication skills. Maintains supervisor awareness of personal and team activities affecting the department. Exhibits proactive problem solving to address issues impacting departmental services.
- Maintains a plan for personal development and completion of competency validation records.
- Participates in personal goal setting and ongoing development of team members.
- Shares expertise by participating in the orientation and education of pharmacy employees and students.
- If applicable, participation in the quality management program is expected with the goal of improving services by monitoring processes, analyzing data, implementing interventions to improve and evaluating the effectiveness of those interventions.
- Responsibilities may include working to establish and maintain long and short term goals for the Quality Management Program; monitoring and documenting Quality Improvement Projects (QIPs) for progress in meeting QI goals; and providing guidance and education to staff on Quality Management priorities and projects. If applicable, as part of the program, the staff will uphold the quality of the Patient Management Program to include the development and reassessment of the program.
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Kansas Board of Pharmacy Registration (required upon start date) for work locations in Kansas
- Missouri Board of Pharmacy Registration (required upon start date) for work locations in Missouri
- Successful completion of PTCB OR equivalent National Pharmacy Technician Certification examination in accordance with Board of Pharmacy registration requirements and no later than 9 months of employment at TUKHS.
- Technician must maintain certification on an ongoing basis and complete all continuing education requirements.
- PTCB OR equivalent National Pharmacy Technician Certification
- One year experience as a pharmacy technician in a hospital pharmacy offering comprehensive pharmacy services
- Bachelor's Degree
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.