Clinical Health Psychologist
Landon Center on Aging
Position Summary / Career Interest:
Clinical Health Psychologist supporting the Center for Concussion Management. Working collaboratively within the multidisciplinary Center for Concussion Management to provide comprehensive, evidence-based care. This position will be able to help create a mental health program for patients with persistent post-concussive symptoms. Will range from education and expectant management, to short term psychotherapy/counseling,
and may include cognitive behavioral therapy. Patients may be suffering from cognitive, physical, emotional, and interpersonal aspects related to their concussion injury.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Provide health-related psychological assessment of behavioral and mental health needs for patients with post-concussive symptoms.
- Provide short-term psychotherapy/psychoeducation/counseling for patients coping with cognitive, emotional, physical, and interpersonal aspects of concussive injury.
- Facilitating appropriate referrals with providers in the community for patients who need ongoing psychological services.
- Provide CBT and/or other evidence-based interventions. Target service areas include but are not limited to:
- Adjustment to disability/diagnosis
- Education regarding common emotional symptoms associated with concussion and expected recovery course
- Depression & anxiety
- Stress management and coping (e.g. mindfulness-based stress reduction)
- Chronic pain management
- Therapeutic engagement and treatment compliance
- Post-traumatic stress
- Provide education promoting and maintaining positive health and wellness behaviors (e.g. sleep hygiene).
- Running group therapies as indicated.
- Works collaboratively with nurses, physicians, and other medical personnel.
- Maintains a productive clinical practice in the ambulatory clinic to generate departmental income to offset cost basis.
- Works effectively with other clinical services and outside collaborating facilities to facilitate effective continuum of patient care and follow up.
- Community outreach which might include contributing to a support group and/or presentations to interested community groups.
- High school diploma or GED
- PhD or PsyD in clinical, counseling, or health psychology from an APA-accredited doctoral program
- APA-approved internship training with at least some focus on health psychology
- 1-year postdoctoral training in health psychology
- Licensed or license-eligible in the State of Kansas
- Experience in the diagnostic assessment and treatment of patients
- Experience working with patients who have suffered concussion/TBI
- Experience in cognitive behavioral therapy and other evidence-based therapies
- Experience working with adolescents (ages 14-17)
- Working collaboratively with other medical processionals and social service agencies
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.