Blood Bank Technical Specialist
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Blood Bank MLS Tech Specialist participates in all departmental responsibilities for comprehensive
laboratory testing for patients. This includes ensuring patients laboratory results are accurate, timely and with
quality. They are also responsible for overseeing the laboratory department in the absence of the
manager/supervisor. They are the technical specialist and the domain expert for blood bank issues that arise
in the department.
- Acts as on site supervisor in the absence of the department Blood Bank manager.
- Analyzes patient, control and proficiency testing specimens and records results in a timely manner according to laboratory policy.
- Assists with departmental management tasks including, but not limited to the following: A) Maintains an adequate inventory of all supplies and reagents as assigned. B) Schedules and coordinates departmental staffing as assigned. C) Participates in departmental financial planning and oversight with the supervisor/manager. D) Contributes to content included in competency training and reviews. E) Ensures all departmental policies and procedures are kept up to date.
- Coordinates quality assurance and quality improvement activities for the department.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and maintains a laboratory of constant readiness.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory, accreditation, safety and hospital standard, policies and procedures.
- Instructs, orients and mentors students, employees, residents, patients and other health care providers as applicable.
- Completes continuing education and submits appropriate documentation where applicable.
- Oversees calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting for instrument issues in addition to the review and management of the appropriate documentation.
- Performs product preparations in compliance with FDA, cGMP, AABB standards, NRC regulations and department procedures.
- Provides oversight for the review and correlation of results to each other and with the patient's condition, recognizing abnormal results and critical/alert values.
- Verifies accuracy of results and initiates corrective action when indicated.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties and may vary dependent upon your department or unit.
*Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or meets CLIA requirements for high complexity testing
- ASCP, NCA or eligible (must be completed within 6 months of hire)
- SBB Certification
- Graduate of a NCCLS approved training program
- Submit to an FBI background check and pass the trustworthy and reliability determination according to NRC guidelines
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological, Physical, or Chemical Preferred
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.