Clinical Lab Technician II
Position Summary / Career Interest:
This person will be working in a clinical laboratory section and will be responsible for specific tasks identified for the individual section. These tasks are listed in Responsibilities below. The Clinical Laboratory Technician II will be trained and accountable for performing duties that support the operation of the laboratory section but do not require a certified Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Laboratory Technician. This person will be expected to have established knowledge of processes and be able to work through problems independently.
Clinical Molecular Oncology Lab
- Performs high complexity molecular laboratory tests including nucleic acid extractions, analytical testing performance, data analysis and reporting as required to meet clinical service needs.
- Serves as a technical resource for staff by participating in staff onboarding and training; acts as point of contact for staff; identify and resolve testing issues; create, monitor, and conduct competency assessments.
- Ensures acceptable testing performance by evaluating test results for accuracy; assists with data analysis and variant assessment review using validated workflows; identifies unusual results or discrepancies and takes appropriate corrective action to resolve test system problems prior to reporting patient results.
- Participates in the creation of new clinical assays including validation and verification of analytical performance; install, maintain, and calibrate instrumentation; implement appropriate quality control processes; compile information and coordinate resources for billing compliance, laboratory information systems and other departments as needed.
Transfusion Medicine (Blood Bank)
- Modify blood products, i.e., irradiate and thaw
- Maintain inventory for blood products, reagents, and supplies and order when appropriate
- Perform daily equipment maintenance and daily temperatures for all Blood Bank equipment in blood bank and remote
- Perform historical record checks on all orders
- Receive in orders for products and specimen testing
- Deliver Trauma and/or Massive Transfusion Protocol coolers Issue blood products
- Perform Quality Control on TEGs.
Hematology – Bone Marrows
- As appropriate, assist in bone marrow collection
- Process in house bone marrow cases including staining, cover-slip and labeling
- Sort and organize outside bone marrow cases
- Stocking carts and shelves
- Managing KC division and Greater Kansas orders and phone calls
- Deliver read cases to pathology
- Assist with culture set up and processing
- Prepare and stain Gram stains
- Perform waived, moderately complex laboratory testing including specimen preparation, data analysis, and reporting as required to meet clinical service needs
- Assist with inquiries about test methods and results both on the phone and in person
- Perform daily maintenance on laboratory instrumentation and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Prepare and process susceptibility testing on known organisms including Microbroth Dilution, Kirby Bauer, and E-test.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Science area that transfers to the Molecular and Clinical Laboratory
- Knowledge of molecular and genetic skills and 2 or more years of molecular experience for Clinical Molecular Oncology Department.
- Ability to follow directions/procedures.
- Must be a meticulous, detail-oriented person, interested in learning new technology
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot issues.
- Skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, and data management.
- Master’s degree.
- Job-related experience in clinical diagnostic lab.
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.