PRN Behavioral Health Case Manager
Main Campus, Strawberry Hill Campus
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Behavioral Health Case Manager is responsible to provide care/service safely and efficiently for a full range of services to patients of all ages and their families. Primary role is to collaborate, communicate and facilitate coordination of services during and post-hospitalization as established by the behavioral health care team and executed by the case manager.
*This position will support Strawberry Hill, the Emergency Department & Psych Consult.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for achievement of optimal outcomes within their scope of practice. Follows policies, procedures, and standards. Assumes responsibility for risk and safety issues associated with the position. Takes call as required by the department expectations. Performs job specific responsibilities and demonstrates accountability for own actions and decisions.
- Acquires and maintains knowledge and competence related to the expectations of their position and practices within their scope. Brings ideas and concerns to supervisor, participates in department decision making. Maintains current licensure.
- Initiates and participates in family conferences to determine psychosocial and discharge planning needs.
- Completes psychosocial assessments of patient/family situations including social, psychological, emotional, financial and other related factors to facilitate patients return to the community.
- Utilizes social work assessment and input from other team members to formulate realistic recommendations for social work action plan while patient is hospitalized and formulate and execute an appropriate discharge plan.
- Locates community resources and connects patient with resources to assist in their living situation
- Assists in determining financial concerns including insurance and assists in application for social security benefits (such as SSD, SSI or any other applicable social security benefits) as well as application for Medicaid/Medicare if appropriate.
- Responsible for understanding various State Waivers, qualifications for each waiver and how to assist patients in determining eligibility and obtainment of waiver services.
- Connects patient with Community Mental Health or other agencies or private providers to provide:
- Psychiatry follow-up appointments
- Psychotherapy and Expressive Arts therapy appointments,
- Intensive Case Management (Outpatient)
- Other social services such as substance abuse treatment, support groups (various subjects), etc.
- Coordinates community placement for appropriate post-hospital discharge planning and coordination if patient needs a community placement such as a group home, sober living arrangement, Mental Health Nursing Home or other placement that would be deemed most appropriate to the patient’s needs and safety.
- Advocates on behalf of patients and caregivers for identification and access to services. Advocates for the protection of the patient's health, safety and rights. Ensures patient choice and consistently supports a patient centered environment.
- Documents appropriate information in the patient’s medical record to ensure communication of patients’ psychosocial needs during inpatient stay and post discharge care
- Documentation includes initial contact note
- Documentation includes psychosocial assessment of patient/family including previous living situations.
- Documentation includes daily telephone calls and meetings with significant others and allied professionals.
- Documentation includes all family and/or discharge planning conferences.
- Documentation of all patient encounters shall be completed within 24 hours of the date of service.Contributes to the financial viability of hospitals.
- Works in partnership with the treatment team to ensure timely patient discharge.
- Utilizes established procedures and appropriate resources in working with third party payors to ensure safe and timely discharge.
- Participates in the case management activities at assigned site/service.
- Demonstrates flexibility and teamwork among case management staff members.
- Assists peers in the event of fluctuating census.
- Provides coverage to other services as needed or as requested by Manager
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings as needed
- Other duties as assigned by Clinical Manager.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Master's Degree in Social Work
- Master’s level Licensure with the Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board as one of the following:
- Licensed Professional Counselor (KS)
- Licensed Master Social Worker (KS)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (KS)
- State of Kansas Social Work license required
- Ability to proficiently read and document in electronic medical record required.
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.