Medical Lab Technician
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Medical Lab Technician provides comprehensive laboratory testing for patients. The position consists of ensuring patients’ laboratory results are accurate, timely and are produced with quality. The Medical Laboratory technician consistently supports a patient-centered environment. They demonstrate accountability for own actions and decisions, following policies, procedures and standards and complying with the Corporate Compliance Program. They assume responsibility for own learning needs and risk/safety issues, participate in performance improvement activities and utilize resources efficiently and effectively. This person participates as a member of a team to achieve organizational goals and participates in decision-making by bringing
ideas/concerns to supervisor. Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships and technical skills; demonstrates ability to provide care/service safely and efficiently for each patient; demonstrates ability to perform duties of lab generalist and specimen processing.
- Accurately prepares, labels and stores reagents, standards, controls, proficiency testing material and patient specimens for analysis.
- Analyzes patient, control and proficiency testing specimens and records results in a timely manner according to laboratory policy.
- Calibrates, maintains and operates instruments keeping appropriate documentation; reports equipment malfunction to supervisor.
- Correlates results of pertinent laboratory determinations
- Demonstrates ability to provide care/service safely and efficiently.
- Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships and technical skills
- Disposes of biohazardous materials, chemical waste, sharps and other potentially hazardous materials according to policy.
- Follows regulatory, accreditation and institutional standards, policies and procedures.
- Instructs patient (and/or care provider) with correct specimen collection procedures.
- May be required to float to other locations throughout the organization.
- Other responsibilities may include: performing venipuncture, finger stick and/or heel
stick using appropriate techniques; maintaining inventory of supplies, reagents and
solutions to assure uninterrupted work flow; recording and retrieving laboratory data
from on-site reference laboratories; instructing medical technology students during their
lab practicum; orienting new employees to the lab procedures they will be expected to
perform; special projects; additional duties as assigned.
- Participates in continuing education. -
- Participates in quality assurance/quality improvement activities. -
- Recognizes abnormal results, alert values, and sources of error and interfering substances, and initiates corrective action when indicated; verifies accuracy and transcription of final report.
- Uses and wears PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as necessary to perform job duties safely and minimize risk.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- ASCP, NCA or eligible (must be completed within 6 months of hire)
- Associate degree or appropriate Military Training eligible for ASCP or NCA certification.
- Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) training at an
- Accredited NAACLS training program
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.