Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Lab Assistant is responsible for performing pre-analytical laboratory functions such as specimen receipt from on and off campus locations, either hand-delivered or sent via pneumatic tube; transporting specimens to other sections in the laboratory for testing and communication with other staff, in one or more areas of the clinical laboratory, including: Microbiology, Specimen Collection & Processing Department, and Cytology.
This position performs inventory management functions and other non-specimen, pre-analytical tasks, such as assisting with cleaning non-testing equipment, eyewash safety checks, etc.
- Receives specimens into the laboratory either through the pneumatic tube system or hand delivered to the core laboratory for testing.
- Ensures specimens received are properly labeled with positive patient identification, have correct volume and have been centrifuged (if needed) prior to delivery.
- Distributes specimens to the appropriate department. Sorts specimens by priority, location and tube type, and ensures STAT specimens received from the Emergency Department, Codes, Surgery and Intensive Care Units are expedited through the system.
- Performs data entry in Laboratory information system according to hospital and laboratory policies and procedures, as well as compliance requirements Provides patients (and/or care provider) with instructions and necessary materials, if required, for specimen collection.
- Disposes of biohazardous materials, and other potentially hazardous materials according to policy and strictly adheres to safety and infection control procedures Communicates specimen problems to Specimen Processing Specialist.
- Communicates non-specimen problems to department supervisor.
- Assists with troubleshooting delays in STAT specimens getting loaded on the automation line or getting delivered to the individual testing department.
- Understands the importance of all pre-analytical variables including, but not limited to: positive patient identification, correct container type, specimen conditions and integrity and how they affect laboratory results.
- Performs inventory management functions for other sections in the Core Laboratory, such as receiving vendor supply orders, verifying accuracy of packing slip with order slip, placing supply and reagent orders in proper location ensuring short dates are used first. Maintains chemical inventory for department and ensures that most current MSDS is uploaded into online system as assigned.
- Fills outside supply orders for off-campus clinics and prepares for shipment.
- Uses and wears PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as necessary to perform job safely and minimize risk.
- High school diploma or GED/equivalent
- One year of experience in clinical laboratory specimen processing and hospital/laboratory information systems data entry preferred.
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.