Cytogenetic Laboratory Tech
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Cytogenetic Laboratory Technician provides technical and clerical assistance to the cytogenetics laboratory technical staff. The technician will process specimens for analysis and prepare FISH slides. In addition, the technician will prepare reagents, perform computer functions, and participate in quality improvement activities. This position will serve as the backup to the Office Specialist as needed for ordering supplies, billing, scanning, answering the phone, and resulting.
- Perform the professional, clinical and technical competencies required in the cytogenetic laboratory.
- Must be able to perform the assigned professional, clerical and technical competencies of the cytogenetics laboratory.
- Answer phone calls and respond to requests; maintain filing system; scan, result and distribute reports; print needed lab reports from HIS records. Enter charges and patient orders, and receive specimens in LIS; register specimens in HIS as needed; enter QA data into cytogenetic database.
- Order supplies and keep track of inventory to maintain an uninterrupted work flow.
- Know specimen requirements for Cytogenetics processing and analysis and when to direct questions to the appropriate technologist or supervisor. Apply critical thinking skills and prioritize work accordingly. Recognize quality indicators and document throughout the lab processes.
- Accurately log specimens into the cytogenetic laboratory information system, utilizing two patient identifiers at all times. Label specimens with accurate patient identification. Perform all computer functions needed and accurately record required information throughout the testing process.
- Employ appropriate culture and harvesting techniques for all specimen types. Prepare slides with quality metaphases and use G-banding/staining methods. Process specimens for FISH studies and prepare quality slides.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of lab equipment and maintain documentation. Dispose of bio-hazardous, chemical and sharps wastes according to regulatory policies. Wash lab glassware and autoclave instruments as needed. Clean and file analyzed slides and prepare cell pellets for storage.
- Prepare chemicals and reagents for processing. Record various logs as required.
- Participate in quality improvement activities and CAP readiness. Follow regulatory, accreditation and institutional standards, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must qualify as high complexity testing personnel as defined by CLIA 88 regulations. This includes a
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college or equivalent that include a minimum of 24 semester hours of science courses that include 6 semester hours of chemistry and 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 hours of chemistry, biology, math, and laboratory science in any combination.
- Bachelors Degree in a biological science, healthcare, or a related field.
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.