Inpatient Pharmacy Intern
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The pharmacy intern will provide collaborative pharmaceutical care through integrated drug distribution, consistent service, and interactions with interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teams within the University of Kansas Health Care System.
- Performs ALL duties under the drect supervision of a pharmacist licensed in the State of Kansas.
- Assists in accurate medication order filling, compounding and record keeping to assure timely delivery of medications. Prepares medications using appropriate technique and equipment. Medications include, but are not limited to: Intravenous admixtures, chemotherapy, total parenteral nutrition, oral unit-dose or prepackaged medications, compounds, investigational drugs
- Operates computer systems to accurately input medication orders and obtain necessary patient information.
- Uses a courteous and professional customer-focused approach while interacting directly or on the telephone with customers. Directs customers with potential problems to the pharmacist, supervisor or administrator as appropriate.
- Assists in maintaining pharmacy inventory and record keeping in accordance with state and federal law. Assures timely distribution of prescribed medications and stock items to nursing units and other hospital departments.
- Strives to remove barriers in achieving excellent pharmaceutical care by participating in organizational and departmental performance improvement efforts and utilizing effective communication skills relative to these initiatives.
- Maintains supervisor awareness of personal and team activities affecting the department. Reports medication errors at appropriate time of occurrence. Maintains a plan for personal development and completion of competency validation records. Participates in goal setting and ongoing development of team members.
- Takes responsibility for professional development and advancement of learning in the study of pharmacy.
- If applicable, participation in the quality management program is expected with the goal of improving services by monitoring processes, analyzing data, implementing interventions to improve and evaluating the effectiveness of those interventions. Responsibilities may include working to establish and maintain long and short term goals for the Quality Management Program; monitoring and documenting Quality Improvement Projects (QIPs) for progress in meeting QI goals; and providing guidance and education to staff on Quality Management priorities and projects. If applicable, as part of the program, the staff will uphold the quality of the Patient Management Program to include the development and reassessment of the program.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid Kansas and/or Missouri licensure as a registered pharmacy intern
- Kansas State Board of Pharmacy and/or Missouri State Board of Pharmacy *based on position location*
- Basic typing and word processing ability
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.