The position of Certified Phlebotomist Technician (CPT) for Pacific Diagnostic Laboratory (PDL) is the front-line public relations member of the laboratory team and needs to maintain appropriate professionalism in the work environment. Under appropriate level of supervision, as required by regulatory agencies, the CPT assignments include: Phlebotomy, or other skin puncture technique, collection in patients of ages newborn to geriatric (including difficult to draw patients), processing of all types of specimens, operating Laboratory and Hospital Information Systems for data entry, receiving, batching and retrieval, managing the unreceived specimen list and unusual requests, providing client services, and limited operation of automated instrumentation. Due to various work environments within PDL, use of a personal vehicle to travel between work locations may be required.
With variations due to hospital site and department, this position may require census-driven scheduling flexibility (additional/fewer shifts), holiday coverage, floating, being placed on-call, weekend coverage, and shift rotations.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
YEARS OF RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB COMPETENCIES
This is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees will be required to perform any job, with related instruction given by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
1. Effectively and efficiently performs phlebotomy (venipuncture and skin puncture) on adult and pediatric patients according to established techniques using vacutainer tubes, blood culture bottles, tourniquets, syringes, butterfly needles and other standard equipment as needed. Replenishes supplies at the end of shift. Percentage of time: 35%
2. Processes laboratory specimens, operates computer equipment for requisition entry, specimen receipt, and specimen accessioning. Maintains and evaluates specimen integrity and prepares aliquots of specimens for analysis and sendout testing according to specifications. Ability to interpret orders and recognize unusual requests or problems and troubleshoots and solves those problems. Manages the unreceived specimen list and assures that all phlebotomy requests are handled in a timely manner and that there are no unresolved issues by the change of shift. Percentage of time: 20%
3. Utilizes computer equipment and various applications. Provides accurate and complete information concerning laboratory procedures and laboratory results using laboratory communication equipment. Answers phone requests for information about laboratory tests and disseminates the information accurately. Percentage of time: 10%
4. Provides customer service in a professional and caring manner. Maintains the highest standards of conduct in hospitality, excellence, appearance, attitude, and respect. Uses best judgment in all interactions with clients (patients, family, coworkers, medical staff and others). Greets and confers with patient or guardian to obtain information, explains procedures, allays patient fears and elicits cooperation using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Describe, Explain, and Thank) consistently. Maintains confidentiality with information and data within the scope of the position (ie HIPAA regulations). Demonstrates effective communication skills, professionalism, and a positive attitude. Percentage of time: 10%
5. Organizes work time to prioritize, perform and complete assigned tasks to meet lab-wide needs and deadlines. Works as a team player in regard to workstation, shift, and schedule needs to best serve laboratory and hospital goals. Effectively communicates with team members in order to complete assigned tasks and prioritize duties as needed. All interactions are driven by a focus on the patient. Follows standards of behavior and code of conduct at all times. Percentage of time: 10%
6. Checks computer systems, printers, and other equipment for integrity. Troubleshoots malfunctions and/or alerts appropriate personnel for instructions. May open and/or close Patient Service Center facility. Prepares the Patient Service Center for the day. Percentage of time: 5%
7. Utilizes personal protection equipment at all times when handling specimens. Percentage of time: 5%
8. Performs various quality control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations. Percentage of time: 5%