Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or equivalent related field of science. Additional training and/or certification preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
3 years to 4 years of related and progressive experience in an accredited healthcare facility, with 1 year of supervisory experience and experience in quality management. Experience in quality management includes meeting regulatory/accreditation requirements, performance improvement, quality control and quality assessment.
Math knowledge of statistics preferred. Candidate must be able to think tactically and strategically. Candidate must have strong organizational, presentation, written and verbal communications skills. Demonstrates knowledge of technical procedures in assigned sections and performs procedures as necessary.
1. Keep abreast of changes in regulatory requirements that impact laboratory processes.
2. Assist in the review and revision of departmental Quality Plan and Safety Manual.
1. Assist in the review and assessment of compliance within the laboratory sections with regulatory standards including AABB, FDA, FACT, JCAHO, CLIA and others as they apply.
2. Use data collection tools (interviews, document review, tracers, observance, etc.) to assess compliance with regulatory and accrediting agency standards.
3. Inform section managers and Quality Manager of issues of non-compliance and identify opportunities for improvement.
1. Work directly with Quality Manager, Section Managers and staff to implement required changes.
2. Coordinate a tracking system to monitor and track project assignments.
External Audits and Report Generation
1. Perform audits as assigned of technical areas.
2. Identify areas of improvements and provide written summary of audits to Quality Manager.
3. Aggregate data using quality management tools (charts, graphs, etc.) when applicable.
4. Provide Quality Manager with periodic summaries of external audits.
5. Prepare documents and reports as necessary for quality oversight committees (Blood Utilization Review, Laboratory Quality Assessment and others that apply).
1. Work directly with Quality Manager and Section Managers to provide in-service, education and training as necessary to staff.
2. Provide leadership and direction on process improvement or quality issues.
3. Participate in CE opportunities available internally and/or externally.
Cost Effectiveness/Budget control
1. Provide cost effective utilization of materials and personnel.
1. Annual unscheduled absence episodes (1 or less = extraordinary, 2 = exceeds some, 3-4 valued, 5-6 performance improvement needed, >6 does not meet expectations).
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance