Works under the direction and supervision of the Occupational Therapist performing duties to provide occupational therapy care and related tasks as delegated by the supervising occupational therapist. This position may also carry out routine occupational therapy functions such as supervision of aides and documentation of treatment progress.
- Performs occupational therapy treatment of patients which includes direct application of modalities, instruction in the use of adaptive equipment, safety and instruction in therapeutic exercises per treatment plans established by the occupational therapist.
- Observes, records and reports to the occupational therapist and physician, when appropriate, the patient reaction to treatment and any changes in the patient’s condition; documents, in the patient record, appropriate data for the treatment(s) provided.
- Instructs other health team personnel, such as home health or occupational therapy aides and family members, in certain phases of occupational therapy with which they may assist the patient; attends care plan conferences when appropriate.
- Acknowledges orders and inputs charges into the computer as needed.
- Teaches educational classes for groups or individuals on topics relevant to occupational therapy.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrates an independent work initiative, sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to assess, evaluate, explain, teach, problem solve using critical thinking; and perform calculations