This position maintains communication and workflow between staff, providers, and patients to help ensure new patients may fully utilize and benefit from the clinical services.
- Greets, screens, schedules, and directs patients to exam rooms.
- Obtains, verifies, and updates patient information and health history.
- Collects and charts patient information into the medical record as reported by the patient, to include documentation of the current medication list as reported by the patient.
- Patient care responsibilities may include:
- Assists patients with ambulation, transfers, assistive device instruction, body mechanic instruction and activities of daily living.
- Obtains patient vital signs, administer basic wound and first aid, and therapeutic modalities.
- Minor surgery assists, includes surgical tray set-up pre/post-surgical care.
- Specimen handling; i.e. urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum.
- Environmental responsibilities may include:
- Sets up instruments and equipment according to department protocols.
- Aseptic/sterile technique and basic decontamination, instrument wrapping, cleaning of exam/procedure room/instruments/equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control requirements.
- Ordering, sorting, storing supplies, and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Reports patient needs and document referral requests for coordination of care.
- Fulfill clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and pre-authorizations; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
- Triages phone calls, taking messages and transferring urgent calls as necessary.
- Acts as the backup receptionist.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrate an independent work initiative and sound judgment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge of health care field and medical office protocols/procedures
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- High school diploma or GED
- Cheyenne Regional RQI within 14 calendar days of start date
- 1 of the following 3 is required:
- Completion of a formal Medical Assistant training program
- Licensed as a Practical Nurse
- EMT certification
- Two years’ experience in healthcare
- MA Certification