Electrophysiology Tech I
Cardiac Electrophysiology (EP) Lab
Days - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
Under the direction of the Electrophysiologist and the Nurse Manager, the Electrophysiology Technician I performs essential duties to assist the medical staff with the performance of diagnostic, interventional and therapeutic procedures within the Electrophysiology Lab setting. The Technician performs monitoring and observation of patients during invasive procedures; ensures that procedures are performed safely and efficiently; provides and ensures a sterile procedural area; assists during emergency interventions; responds to patient distress situations and assists with equipment, quality control, and inventory management. This job functions in a high activity level, fast paced environment to ensure optimal patient outcomes, participates in late team schedule, understands and follows all hospital and departmental policies and procedures and maintains accurate and complete documentation. The Technician serves as a patient advocate and works in conjunction with anesthesia, physicians, nurses and other medical staff to provide excellent patient care.
- Assists in transporting patient to nursing units.
- Attends to patient needs during electrophysiology procedures by providing psychological and physical comfort measures while maintaining safety.
- ECG placement, troubleshooting on both EP med and Lifepack
- Pressure Transducer
- Electrical Cautery
- Flouroscopy: Philips, Seimends, GE
- ICE: Zonare and Sequoia
- Perform chest tube drainage system set up
- Performs Cardioversion, Defibrillation and Pacing
- Manifold Setup and Operation
- Stereotaxis Set Up, discuss safety, and ability to troubleshoot issues
- RF generator ATAKR, Stockard, IBI-1500O, Maestro 3000, and adapt to new technology as it evolves.
- Circulates during electrophysiology procedures.
- Participates in late team schedule.
- Prepares patient and equipment for electrophysiology procedures by maintaining asepsis, instrument count, specimen care, dressing application, preparing site of entry, draping patient, arranging sterilized instruments and catheters, and calibrating and setting up pressure transducers and tubing.
- Prepares the electrophysiology lab procedure rooms by ensuring the adequate stock is available.
- Scrubs during procedure, provides appropriate instrumentation to cardiologist, and assists the physician in maneuvering catheters.
- Prepares instruments and supplies for sterilization, cleans and decontaminates instruments and equipment, assist in cleaning/preparing EP lab for next.
- Accurately obtains and documents hemodynamic, electrical, angiographic, case progression and supply data.
- Participate in life-saving measures such as defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Safely and accurately operates a variety of complex equipment including but not limited to: electrical amplifiers, fluoroscopy equipment, hemodynamic monitoring, generators, and recording systems.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma
- Associates degree in Health, Exercise Sciences or related field
- American Heart Association BLS Certification
- American Heart Association ACLS required within 6 months of hire
- *A minimum of 2 years of experience as an electrophysiology technician may be substituted for the professional education requirement above
- High, ability to learn and use multiple imaging, hemodynamic, and medical record systems
- Graduate from one of the following: accredited radiology technologist program, surgical scrub technologist program, or CVT program.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Registration as Cardiovascular Technologist (RCVT);Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS); or Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES)
- Secondary Language