Staff Pharmacist facilitates the safe, high quality, effective and economic use of drugs. This responsibility includes the accurate preparation and dispensing of pharmaceuticals according to established departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Review written/electronic medication prescriptions to determine appropriate ingredients, strength, and dosage.
- Reviews medication orders for: potential allergies, drug/drug and food/drug interactions, route of administration, appropriate dose and potential for adverse drug reactions with other medications ordered.
- Contact the prescriber, as appropriate, to clarify prescriptions and/or make recommendations concerning alternate therapies.
- Provides drug information to patients, physicians, nurses, and other clinical staff where appropriate and upon request.
- Participate in improvements in interdepartmental policies and procedures which support the Pharmacy Department and Hospital's strategic goals.
- Maintain accurate records as required by departmental policies and procedures and/or federal and state board regulations. This includes organizational medication error reporting
- Document clinical activities accurately and according to policies and procedures.
- Supervises the daily operational duties in the dispensing area to which assigned, including assisting and assigning, closely monitoring and reviewing the work of Pharmacy Technicians, to assure accurate and timely delivery of medications.
- Provide additional Pharmaceutical Care such as patient consultation, which may include formal Medication Therapy Management, as needed.
- Identifies and/or involved with opportunities for improvement or key Departmental initiatives (i.e. innovative ideas, expense reduction, projects, task or project lead).
Required Minimum Education. The minimum level of education for this position includes:
Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy
Required Minimum Experience:
Current Maryland State License
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.