Medical Lab Scientist Supervisor
Days - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
The Medical Lab Scientist supervisor oversees and participates in all departmental responsibilities for comprehensive laboratory testing for patients. This includes ensuring patients' laboratory results are accurate and timely. Has the ability to prioritize and remain calm and organized in a high stress, fast-paced environment.
- Analyzes patient, control and proficiency testing specimens and records results in a timely manner according to laboratory policy.
- Coordinates quality assurance and quality improvement activities for the department.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and maintains a laboratory of constant readiness.
- Ensures all departmental policies and procedures are kept up to date.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory, accreditation, safety and hospital standards, policies and procedures.
- Instructs, orients and mentors students, employees, residents, patients and other health care providers as applicable.
- Completes continuing education and submits appropriate documentation where applicable.
- Oversees calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting and quality control for instrument issues in addition to the review and management of the appropriate documentation.
- Performs all necessary management tasks for the department.
- Performs HR duties including interviewing, hiring, counseling and corrective action.
- Performs product preparations in compliance with FDA, cGMP, AABB standards, NRC regulations and department procedures.
- Provides oversight for the review and correlation of results to each other and with the patient's condition, recognizing abnormal results and critical/alert values. Verifies accuracy of results and initiates corrective action when indicated.
- The employee may be required to float to other locations throughout the organization.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- ASCP or eligible (must be completed within 6 months of hire)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological, Physical, Chemical or Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology from an accredited institution
- Meets the CLIA requirements for high complexity testing
- Graduate of a NCCLS approved training program
- Minimum of one year of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist