Surgical Pathology Technician
Days - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
A Surgical Pathology Technician I receives and accessions all specimens for surgical pathology. Performs gross examinations of biopsies and small surgical tissue specimens and prepares frozen section slides for microscopic examination. Must have a basic understanding and knowledge of human anatomy/physiology and medical terminology, especially tissue part types. Must stay calm and organized in a high stress, fast paced environment and have the ability to prioritize their work.
- *Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- *Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilites, skills and duties and may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Accurately participates in preparing for JCAHO and CAP inspections.
- Accurately prepares, labels and stores reagents, standards, controls and patient samples for analysis.
- Answers the telephone and interacts with all customers using proper, courteous techniques, in compliance with hospital standards.
- Assists with frozen sections, including cutting, staining and coverslipping.
- Correctly registers patients in the hospital computer system and creates visits/encounters, when necessary. Accurately accessions specimens into the laboratory information system, utilizing two patient identifiers at all times, assigning the appropriate pathology part-type to trigger technical and professional billing. Properly labels all specimens with the case number and part type. Any error is unacceptable. Contacts physician offices to rectify missing patient information and/or improper labeling of specimens, and documents this appropriately.
- Disposes of biohazardous materials, chemical waste, sharps and other potentially hazardous materials, according to policy and strictly adheres to safety and infection control procedures.
- Has knowledge of specimen collection requirements for surgical pathology processing and analysis, and understands when to direct questions to the appropriate pathologist or supervisor. Must apply critical thinking skills, and prioritize work appropriately.
- Performs gross examinations of biopsies and small surgical tissue specimens. May perform gross examinations of larger specimens under direct supervision. Photographs all pertinent specimens, as requested.
- Performs inventory control to ensure for provision of adequate supplies, and assures
- Bachelor's Degree in a biological science, healthcare or related field required
- Must qualify as high complexity testing personnel as defined by CLIA 88 regulations. This includes at least 60 semester hours including a minimum of 24 semester hours of science courses with 6 semester hours of chemistry and 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical laboratory technology in any combination.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in healthcare, laboratory specific experience preferred.