This position is PRN - as needed.
The Respiratory Therapist acts as a resource person to the other members of the Cardiopulmonary department and the staff of CRMC. In addition, the RT is responsible for daily patient assignments and work performed on each assigned shift.
- Performs all assigned therapeutic and diagnostic procedures as ordered by a physician including but not limited to: basic respiratory therapy and oxygen therapy including daily oxygen rounds, optiflow titrations, pulse oximetry monitoring to determine oxygen titration needs and arranging for home oxygen therapy. Bronchodilator therapy including protocols and patient assessment. Acts as a backup for the performance of EKGs.
- Performs therapeutic and diagnostic procedures for the pediatric floor. Job duties include but are not limited to daily (morning) pulse oximetry and titration, bronchodilator therapy, RSV protocol, asthma protocols and education, and oxygen therapy. Performs therapeutic and diagnostic procedures in the nursery including but not limited to: oxygen hood, nasal CPAP and ventilator management in both invasive and non-invasive modes. Must attend a minimum of 3 normal child births during orientation
- Verifies physician order for therapy to assure that the order is complete and appropriate.
- Documents appropriately and completely in patient’s record and department records according to department and hospital policies.
- Performs arterial blood gas sampling by direct puncture or arterial line. Analyzes ABG and co-oximetery results and makes educated oxygenation and ventilation decisions.
- Performs quality control, proficiency testing, maintenance and troubleshooting of blood gas analyzer.
- Assists in Cardiopulmonary resuscitation efforts and/or other emergencies that utilize respiratory care procedures for patient care.
- Maintains professional growth by presenting internal and/or external in-service programs, pursuing further certification or registries and reading appropriate magazines and journals.
- Must attend 80% of department meetings
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to communicate with coworkers, patients, families and physicians
- Must be able to quickly assess and respond to emergency situations
- Must be able to assess and evaluate patient condition and response to therapy
- Must have excellent critical thinking skills and be able to quickly assess a problem and resolve it
- Must be able to explain procedure to patient so that they understand
- Must be willing to rotate shifts
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) or Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) Associate’s degree in Respiratory Therapy
- Wyoming Respiratory Therapy License
- Cheyenne Regional RQI within 14 calendar days of start date