The Medical Assistant demonstrates advanced critical thinking skills in the collection of patient information as well as clerical and environmental tasks necessary to assist with provider directed patient care within the clinic setting.
1. Greets, screens, schedules, and directs patients to exam rooms.
2. Obtain, verify, and update patient information and health history.
a. Collects and charts patient information into the medical record as reported by the patient, to include a review of the current medication list.
3. Patient care responsibilities may include:
a. Assists patients with ambulation, transfers, assistive device instruction, body mechanic instruction, and activities of daily living.
b. Obtains patient vital signs, administer basic wound and first aid, therapeutic modalities, i.e. nebulizer treatment, etc., phlebotomy and point of care testing (including CLIA-waived testing).
c. Administers subcutaneous injection, intramuscular injection, and intradermal injection, and medication administration (with the exception of narcotics).
d. Electrocardiography includes placement of electrodes and obtaining EKG.
e. Minor surgery assists, includes surgical tray set-up pre/post-surgical care, and suture removal.
f. Specimen handling; i.e. urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum.
4. Environmental responsibilities may include:
a. Sets-up instruments and equipment according to department protocols.
b. Aseptic/sterile technique and basic decontamination, instrument wrapping, cleaning of exam/procedure room/instruments/and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control requirements.
c. Ordering, sorting, storing supplies, and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
5. Clerical responsibilities may include:
a. Sending/receiving patient medical records, obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital or clinic notes, referral information, and completing forms/requisitions as needed to ensure provider availability.
b. Scheduling appointments, verifying insurance coverage and pre-authorizations, managing and updating charts to ensure information is complete and filed appropriately.
6. Acts as the backup receptionist.
7. Assists with peer development and new hire preceptorship.
8. Provides an active supportive role in the clinic’s process improvement initiatives.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
· Proficient with MS Office, Outlook and Internet Explorer
· Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
· Demonstrate an independent work initiative and sound judgment
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Knowledge of health care field and medical office protocols/procedures
· Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to particular medical practice
· Knowledge of medical terminology
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ONCE HIRED
· Medical Assistant Certification or Registration within 60 days of hire
OUTREACH ONLY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
· Valid USA driver’s license
· Must have clean driving record that follows Cheyenne Regional Medical Center’s driving guidelines