Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Cardiac Rehabilitation
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
The Exercise Physiologist II delivers direct and indirect, quality patient care utilizing advanced exercise science clinical skill level and knowledge for inpatient and outpatient cardiopulmonary patient populations. He/She assesses, plans, implements and evaluates individualized treatment plans to effectively manage the progress for each program participant based on appropriate standards established by the State and American Association of Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention and aides in managing outcomes for program accreditation. Management of program participants also includes appropriately and effectively delegating duties to other members of the team in order to assure optimal outcomes. The Exercise Physiologist II demonstrates support for and utilization of relevant research. He/she contributes to program development and promotion of program to enhance hospital cardiopulmonary services.
1. Utilizes all aspects of Advanced Exercise Science with appropriate skills to effectively collaborate in the individualized treatment plans for all program participants.
2. Plans implements and supervises exercise prescriptions and progression under the supervision of the Medical Director/ Program manager for cardiac and pulmonary rehab following discipline specific guidelines (DFS State Accreditation Agency, ACSM and AACVPR )
3. Appropriately communicates information in accordance with hospital policies and procedures to nursing staff, exercise physiologist, medical director, manager and documents in the medical record.
4. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
5. Provides appropriate and pertinent patient education to patient, family members regarding aspects of cardiac and pulmonary diseases and related exercise for program participants.
6. Participates in orientation of new employees of the program and interdepartmentally.
7. Preceptor for undergraduate and graduate exercise science students.
8. Serves as a resource person throughout the medical center as well as community
9. Works in both inpatient and outpatient setting providing education of cardiac and pulmonary patients
10. May be required to conduct cardiac and pulmonary exercise stress testing under the direction of a physician
11. Participates in outreach programs and community health screenings
12. Contributes to program effectiveness.
13. Organizes and performs work effectively and efficiently.
14. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance.
15. Working knowledge in the use of personal computer workstations and Microsoft Windows.
16. Provides guidance and mentorship, works with student interns.
* Clinical Exercise Specialist
* Bachelor of Science
1. Education: Masters Degree in a Health related field such as Exercise Science, Health or Physical Education or ACSM certified exercise specialist or registered exercise physiologist.
2. Licensure / Certifications: American Heart Association BLS required. BCLS required. ACLS required. Masters Degree or ACSM Certification as Exercise Specialist required.
3. Experience: 3-6 month’s internship with State accredited Cardiac Rehab program required. Prefer a minimum of 1 year experience in relevant position.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.